Homesick? We’ve got your cure with seven great clubs for SFSU collegiettes!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

The rush of the first week is over and now things are starting to settle in.  You’re slowly beginning to get used to your new schedule, classes, homework flow and possibly a new life if you’re a first-time freshman. 

Despite feeling more at ease with the new semester, you may still feel a little out of place.   This can be a harsh new reality for students, especially freshman, with (for some) golden memories of high school following closely behind.   

Let’s rewind for a second. [DISCLAIMER –Next graf is written by a collegiette who was grossly involved in high school.]

In high school you actually knew the person sitting next to you in class, your teacher would notice if you didn’t show up and you had friends in every different sport, club, and/or intramural team.   

Fast forward to the start of your college career.

You excitedly head off to SFSU, hoping to experience a great new life in a sophisticated and innovative city; and as a result of going to a city/commuter college, you inevitably become a mere drop of water in a sea of 30,000 students.

A glimpse of the SFSU community on the first day back.

For some, this may be a dream come true, and the trade off of living in the city is worth it.  But for others, the realization of being swept through school by a monotonous current of pure academics only to be dumped into real world may be a bit of a harsh reality to accept.

Where’s the fun you ask?  Where’s the community?

HC San Francisco knows there are a ton of small communities on campus, but we’ve provided a small starting point for those who are looking to get more out of their college experience than just the library, homework and grades.

1.  IEEC SFSU (International Education Exchange Council) – This is “the largest SFSU on-campus student organization with over 1700 members and 70 officers each semester,” according to IEEC’s website.  This is a great organization for anyone interested in studying abroad.  IEEC brings a mixture of SFSU students and students who are studying abroad together to participate in various activities around the city. Who knows? Maybe you’ll find an international boyfriend!

2. The SFSU Women’s Center – Based in the Cesar Chavez Center, the women’s center offers not only a fantastic variety of resources for women  (books, pamphlets and tampons!),  but they also are responsible for some wonderful events and activities  -including conferences, workshops and more! Keep up with the Women’s Center on Facebook.

3. The Fashion Network Association –Anyone the least bit interested in fashion needs to hop on over to the FNA.   The association connects alumni and students who all have a strong interest in fashion. They host runway shows and even have their own fashion blog! How much fun is that?!here.

4. The Foodies – Yep, this is exactly what is sounds like. font-family:Times”> on their awesome blog. 

5. EGAY (Everything Great About You) – Described on their Facebook as “the RezLife Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender, and Ally network,” EGAY hosts a myriad of events and activities in the residential community on campus. This club is all about love, acceptance and fun! Keep your eyes peeled for signs in the Towers, Village and the “Mary’s”!

6. Improv Nation at SFSU – This club will definitely add a lot of humor and spontaneity to your regular routine.  Improv club team members are usually recognizable on the quad in some kind of costume (usually there’s a banana).  They claim they are responsible for the zombies at Halloween on their website and do regular performances throughout the semester.  If you have ever considered comedy or performing it’s a must!

7. SFSU Marketing Association – The SFSU Marketing Association is a great way to find out about internship opportunities and to network with people in the marketing industry. font-family:Times”> Check out their Facebook Page. 

The school year is still new so don’t be afraid to jump in with clubs on campus.  You will be so glad you did, we promise!

To find a full list of other clubs at SFSU check out this site.

Jessica Schimm

San Francisco

Jessica is journalism major finishing her senior year at San Francisco State University. She founded and lead San Francisco State’s Her Campus branch as Editor-in-Chief for two semesters and now helps run it as managing editor due to other internships responsibilities.  Her passion for magazine and online journalism has led her current online internships at 7x7 and California Home & Design magazines in San Francisco. She also was the social media editor for her award-winning college paper last semester.When Jessica is not working hard in school she spends her time working on her blog, Women Who Run San Francisco and cheering on the San Francisco Giants (world series champs!!). Having been a competitive Irish dancer for 15 years, she knows that it takes practice, hard work and determination to meet her goals. It is through these qualities that she plans to become editor-in-chief at a leading women’s magazine.