This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

There are very few times when I can say that something I’ve eaten is so good, it’s ‘to die for.’ With an array of other words to use like ‘yummy,’ ‘really good,’ and ‘so good’ being the most used words to describe how good something is, I’m happy to announce I have found something else that tastes so good, that it is to die for.

Not literally, but you understand what I mean.

The dark chocolate mocha, $5, at a little café on Irving Street, between 15th and 16th Avenue, called the Hollow is the most amazing drink I’ve ever put in my mouth.

If only I didn’t have to wait so long for it to be ready. Some of their drinks can be a 5-10 minute wait, but that’s okay, because there are so many cute things to look at while waiting in line.

Looking for a great and unique birthday gift that one can’t find at a regular shopping center? This is a great place to browse for something like that. There are knickknacks for your viewing pleasure that range from soaps, lotions, salt and pepper shakers, and even slingshots.

So while you wait for your coffee or food, peruse at your own risk.

The seating is also limited. However, most people come in to take their coffee to-go, so finding a seat has never been difficult for me. Keep in mind this is not a place for large groups as it is very small, and there is no wifi. Wifi would make this place perfect.

Still, after finding a seat and successfully not buying (most of the time) their other merchandise, I take my dark chocolate and whatever food item I get for that day and sit down, take out a book and enjoy the quiet atmosphere.

The drink comes at the perfect temperature to begin drinking. Sipping the dark mocha, it melts in your mouth, and I immediately taste two things: dark chocolate and espresso. It is the perfect ratio of both. Perfection. Creamy, still a little bitter because of the dark chocolate, but oh so good.

What you pair it with depends on your preference. If you want something rich and decadent, try their Guinness cupcakes, $3.75.

Don’t worry, they don’t taste like beer. The frosting is sweet and rich, and the chocolate cupcake is moist and fluffy. Together, the pair feel like a very sweet treat.

This may be little rich for some, so for others I would recommend pairing it with the peanut butter and chocolate cookie, $1.75. The cookie is large, soft to bite into, and not overly sweet.

For a good cup of French pressed coffee, I recommend trying one of their ritual coffees. I got the Brazil coffee, $3.75, which is described as being sweet and smooth.

Along with that, I tried the pecan cookie, $1.75, which looks like a large square cracker. It’s very crunchy, not overly sweet and makes the coffee taste a little sweeter.

Their vanilla French bean latte, $3.75 is also really good. The vanilla flavor is just barely there, and the drink is creamy with flecks of the vanilla bean in the coffee. Paring it with the vanilla bean marshmallow, $1, definitely brings out the vanilla flavor in the latte.

If it’s real food you crave, their empanadas are very good. The mushroom gorgonzola, $5, has cheese and mushrooms, and though it takes a few bites around the edges to get to the good stuff, it’s a decent size and it fills you up.

The baristas are friendly, but are sometimes inattentive. It’s kind of a hit and miss with whether or not the barista is friendly and engaging, or just does the bare minimum of customer service, which I consider to be a friendly smile and good attitude.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this café. It’s small and so it is not good for groups, and the lack of wifi is disappointing, but the food and coffee are great. It’s a beautiful atmosphere and a great place to sit. 

Store Hours

Mon: 8 a.m. – 6 p.m.

Tue: 8 a.m. – 6 p.m.

Wed. 8 a.m. – 6 p.m

Thu: 8 a.m. – 6 p.m.

Fri: 8 a.m. – 6 p.m.

Sat: 9 a.m. – 6 p.m. 

Sun: 9 a.m. – 6 p.m.

Yelp Rating: 4 stars

Address: 1435 Irving St., Sunset Area

How to get there from SFSU: Unfortunately, this is not an easy place to get to by bus. I recommend driving there.

Below: The vanilla bean marshmallow and vanilla bean latte.