The Holiday Hunger For Relationships

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

As the seasons change, the air gets colder and the months of being with loved ones approaches, this brings the phenomenon of the “holiday hunger”. What’s the “holiday hunger” you ask? Within the months of October-February, a vast majority of girls develop this longing for a significant other. Someone to share the holiday season with and to keep you warm during those cold winter nights.

During these months, holidays such as Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year’s, and Valentine’s Day come back-to-back with the urgency to drown yourself in warmth, love, and loved ones. Movies and television shows are saturated with images of kissing under the mistletoe and finding that perfect last minute New Year’s kiss. With films like Love, Actually and romantic hits like Mariah Carey’s All I Want For Christmas Is You, it is hard not to crave a companion at this nostalgic time. So, for all you single folks, this time of year seems to be packed with the highly publicized romantic aspect, launching you into the hunt for someone to share these culturally monumental moments with. 

Personally, I have never had a boyfriend or significant other during these months and I can absolutely relate. Frigid nights may seem to be better when you can share it by cuddling -so does hot chocolate. However, this never meant that I was unhappy.

I let my friends and family fill that void and realized that one day that special person will come, but forcing and stressing it will only result in the obvious notion that I was lonely…and KNEW it. Now for the first time ever, I am dating someone during this upcoming holiday season.  At first,  I found myself looking at all sorts of holiday media to create an ideal holiday season, but I stopped abruptly because I knew that if I fed into the “holiday hunger”, things would not be genuine.  I realized that choosing to not be sucked into the false ‘necessary’ demand of needing someone around this time of year would make me realize how perfectly content I am with those who I already love and have. Finding someone on top of that, is just the icing on top of the Christmas cake.    

Photo by Jessy Rone / flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/j…

tara miremadi

San Francisco

just a coastal girl who loves the sun, waves, performing, comedy, film, writing, and afternoon cat naps.