alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

It feels like these days the new “it” accessory is a kale salad or a green juice. The new hype around “going green”, whether that includes your fashion or your diet, seems to be taking over the majority of the U.S. and pretty much the world. With Beyonce sporting an ultra chic “Kale” sweater or Nicole Richie’s green juice accompanying her to her morning Yogalates (Yoga + Pilates), green really is the new black.

I personally think green is the best thing to happen to the fashion and food industry since crop-tops and low-fat yogurt – mainly because it incorporates a color into the monochromatic world we live in today. So whether you are enjoying a quinoa and kale salad on your lunch break or wearing an army jacket to elude people from your all black ensemble, embrace this change. 

This change could be worse. I mean kale is extremely high in vitamin K, vitamin C and ultra rich in calcium, and I might add extremely delicious and filling. The green vegetable is also a source of indole-3-carbinol, which is a chemical that boosts DNA repair in cells and has been show to block the growth of cancer cells! If that doesn’t send you to your local grocery store I don’t know what will.

Another way that you could incorporate green into your lifestyle is by becoming eco-friendly. San Franciscans have been going green with their eco-friendly lifestyle of recycling water bottles and banning plastic bags for a while now and it is probably one of the most enviormently-concious way to incorprate the trend. 

In the end, this may be a fad or something that will make a permanent residence in our closets and our kitchens – until then I encourage all of you to incorporate some green into your life – whether it is with a kale, celery, apple, lemon and ginger pressed juice or with a new pair of crisp green cargo pants for the upcoming summer season, this new trend will leave you healthier and on-trend in the fashion world.