Girl-Power Songs that will help you conquer your semester (Part 1)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

It’s the start of a fresh semester, and a new fresh playlist is crucial to starting off the year on a good note! This is part one of our back-to-school playlist that are filled with songs that are catchy, motivating, inspirational and fun!

1. Perfect Day by Hoku
There’s a reason this song was the theme of one of the most upbeat, fun, inspiring chick-flicks of the last decade.  This peppy, bubbly, go-get-’em tune is the zealous version of Christina’s don’t-you-bring-me-down-today message.  A couple plays of this song will leave you on cloud nine making you the happiest collegiette on campus!

[pagebreak] 2. Miss Independent by Kelly Clarkson
  This track is perfect for when you are feeling fierce but still want to keep it cool.  And although she conforms to the idea of letting her guard down in the song, we appreciate the individualistic, self-reliant and confident woman she refers to.

“Miss Unafraid, Miss Outta-my-way, Miss Don’t-let-a-man-interfere, Miss On-her-own, Miss Almost-grown, Miss Never-let-a-man-help-her-off-her-throne.”

We love her bold personality.

[pagebreak] 3.  Run the World (Girls) -Beyonce’
We all know this list would not be complete without some Beyonce’.  In fact, we could probably fill this entire list with just her songs.  This fast-paced, feisty, girls-rule anthem is perfect background music for when you are trying to power through multiple last-minute assignments.

“I’m repping for the girls who taking over the world, have me raise a glass for the college grads.”

-Our favorite line.

[pagebreak] 4. Domino – Jessie J
This sparkly, upbeat, dance track has a unique warm-tone to it, (thanks to the guitar), making it a perfect prep song for your girls night out. This song is great for getting decked out in your heels will get you in the mood to sparkle and shine all night.

“I’m feeling sexy and free, like glitter’s raining on me”

If only it could really rain glitter…

[pagebreak] 5.  Spice up Your Life -Spice Girls
Yes, let’s all admit that we all went under our bed and dug out our dusty Spice Girls CDs after this 90s girl-power band rocked it at the closing Olympics ceremony.  This song made our list because of it’s overwhelming sense of positivity and zesty girl power that will “spice up your life”!

Jessica Schimm

San Francisco

Jessica is journalism major finishing her senior year at San Francisco State University. She founded and lead San Francisco State’s Her Campus branch as Editor-in-Chief for two semesters and now helps run it as managing editor due to other internships responsibilities.  Her passion for magazine and online journalism has led her current online internships at 7x7 and California Home & Design magazines in San Francisco. She also was the social media editor for her award-winning college paper last semester.When Jessica is not working hard in school she spends her time working on her blog, Women Who Run San Francisco and cheering on the San Francisco Giants (world series champs!!). Having been a competitive Irish dancer for 15 years, she knows that it takes practice, hard work and determination to meet her goals. It is through these qualities that she plans to become editor-in-chief at a leading women’s magazine.