The Girl of Many Talents: Julia Mendoza

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

Full name: Julia Nicole Mendoza

Age: 21

Year: 3rd Year, Junior

Major: Recreation, Parks and tourism

Hometown: San Leandro, CA

Tell us something not a lot of people know about you:

For a short while I modeled for a boutique in San Francisco called 31 RAX. It was my first time modeling and it was a really fun to experience strutting down the runway.

What do you do aside from school? (e.g. Work? Hobbies?)

Aside from school, I work for the Oakland A’s as Guest Services Staff. I also work as an intern at the East Bay Center for the performing arts. One of my greatest hobbies is musical theater because it encompasses everything I love to do: sing, dance, and act. I love to dance. In fact, in addition to studying several forms of dance, including West African dance, I was a ballet teacher for 4 years. I am also a jazz/R&B singer and pianist in my spare time, and I sometimes sing backup.

What do you hope to accomplish in your field of work?

As a Recreation, Parks and Tourism major I hope to one day run a community performing arts center much like the one I attended as I was growing up. I would love to expose the youth, and others, to performance art such as dance, music, theater, poetry etc. as a fun and freeing means of expression. I want to give the youth a voice and show them that recreational art is a great way to express themselves and be heard.

What is a typical day at work for you?

Well, working for the A’s has me greeting baseball fans, helping them find their seats by checking their tickets, and helping them find locations of different facilities or letting them know what is happening in the game. I love working at the Oakland Coliseum because I get to experience all of the excitement of watching a live baseball game while getting paid. As an intern for the East Bay Center for the Performing arts I do anything from teaching, being a teacher’s assistant, being a receptionist, paperwork, stage managing, and even performing. The EBCPA is very close to my heart because I grew up going there. My work at the center often doesn’t feel like work at all.

What is your dream job or where do you see yourself 5 years from now? 

My dream job is to work for, or potentially run, a musical theater company or performance art center. I would love to work with professionals, but even working in a youth theater company would bring me a lot of joy. In 5 years I imagine myself working at a company close to, if not exactly what I’m looking for. I’m not sure exactly where I’ll be, but I know I’ll be closer to my dreams

Nancy Delgado

San Francisco

My name is Nancy Delgado!I am a Recreation Parks and Tourims Administration Major at San Francisco State Univeristy and I am the next Leslie Knope