Full Time Student, Full Time Stylist: Campus Celebrity – Maribel Mosquera

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

Being a full time student and working full time can be quite a balancing act. Yet for Maribel Mosqera, now a Sophomore here at SF State, it is a fun and fullfilling experience. Recently, I was able to speak with Maribel, and gain some perspective from this busy second year student.

KM: What is it you do working at Nordstroms, and what is the best part about working there?

MM: Nordstrom is known for it’s exceptional customer service. At Nordstrom I am currently a Personal Stylist. This service is free of charge and offered to every and any customer. I specialize in current trends and business casual looks. I can also do head to toe looks which are generally popular called, a full wardrobe update. Typically made when new seasons are in the upcoming arrival. 

KM: What is your favorite brand for this fall?

MM: My favorite brand would probably be, ‘Paige’ jeans because there so easy to pair. From a dark shade to a lighter shade, it’s so versatile to wear for downtime or dress up for a night out!

KM: What are your hours like, and how do you manage to juggle both school and work?

MM:  Juggling work and school is tough! Especially with a full load of school work. Communication is key! I have a great relationship with my managers and they understand that school is my priority. When I’m at work they recognize that I try my best while I’m there and try to be productive.

KM: What are the cons of working full time?

MM: As the semester progresses it will be tough to be working and wanting to study for my exam the following day. 

KM: What got you interested in working in the retail bussiness?

MM: I’ve been around retail since I was practically in diapers. My mom is such an artist and so talented that over the years I have learned everything I know from her. She has owned her own business for several years and is also very creative with her own jewelry and clothing designs. So many people that are in retail spend a couple years in school/classes to learn the ropes of fashion. For me it came naturally so being the youngest on my team without a degree and still a student is definitely nerve wrecking but exciting all at the same time.

KM: What are you currently majoring in? And what would you like to do in the future?

MM: My major is biology and I want to go into the medical field. I would love to be a nurse because I enjoy helping others. I want to make some difference in the world/community. 

Show message history

I'm a Sophomore at San Francisco State University majoring in Journalism. I went to San Marin High in Marin County, Novato, and was attracted to Journalism there too. I wrote for the school newspaper, 'The Pony Express' for two years and also enjoy reading, and shopping.