Five Books From 2015 Everyone Should Read

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

1. The Girl on The Train by Paula Hawkins

A young woman named Rachel takes the train into London for work every morning and every evening. Each day her train stops at the same spot and she peers over into the garden of a young couple who she feels she has come to know from her daily glances from inside the train. When something shocking happens to the couple, Rachel suddenly finds herself playing a much more intimate role in their lives than she ever would have imagined.

2. Mislaid: A Novel by Nell Zink

Mislaid follows the life of Peggy and her professor, whom she is having an affair with, Lee. After an accidental pregnancy the two decide to get married, even though Peggy is secretly a lesbian and Lee is secretly gay. Once Peggy has had enough she flees Lee, taking her young daughter with her but leaving her son. The two move off the grid to a housing project where they disguise their races in order to not be found by Lee. Years later, the two siblings reunite at college and the history of their unique family unfolds.

3. Fates and Furies: A Novel by Lauren Groff

Lotto and Mathilde were married at twenty-two and were always seen as the poster children for what true love really was. The novel follows them through twenty-four years of marriage. Every up and every down and uncovering what the true meaning of love really is.

4. Girl at War by Sara Novic

Ten year old Ana Juric has an average childhood. She loves her family, plays with her friends and looks after her younger siblings. But when a war breaks out in Yugoslavia her world is turned upside down. Her family flees to America and after ten years she returns to her home in Zagreb. Ana is forced to address suppressed childhood feelings and to try and find a new home in the country that she no longer feels apart of.

5. Becoming Nicole: The Transformation of an American Family by Amy Ellis Nutt

Becoming Nicole is a true story that follows the life of a young transgender girl, her identical twin brother and how their lives helped shape their family. Adopted by the Maines family, Jonas and Wyatt seemed like any other little boys. But after Wyatt began to demand she was a girl the family had to take a step back and think about what was best for their child and how Wyatt’s transformation would change all of their lives forever.