This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

As we move from blistering summer heat to the chilly fall weather, the season’s hairstyles transition with us. The beachy waves turn to structured curls and our ponytails get a makeover. The fall time is a chance to turn a new leaf and leave behind the summer trends and forge ahead to a more put-together-but-still-sexy hairstyle.

One hairstyle that beautifully transitions with each season but was truly born in the fall is the braid; whether it is a simple pigtail braid or the rustic milkmaid braid, we love this hairstyle anytime of the year. A great way to achieve this sweet but sassy look is to go with the simple half-up-half-down braids, which can be achieved within 5 minutes.

If you want to make your braids more charming add some dainty flowers throughout the braid to give it that effortless look. If dainty flowers are too girly or simple for you then the flower crown style is the perfect alternative, this easy DIY look can add some charm to a day look or sass to a little black dress. 

One of the great things about braids (there’s too many to name) is their versatility; you can add a braid to any hairstyle: curly, wavy, straight, or fine hair and it will look darling.

For the more classic girl, who prefers a more structured hairstyle, the bow is the perfect fall accessory for any occasion, whether it’s thanksgiving dinner, a sweet November date, or just grabbing a coffee with your best girlfriend. The bow is also a great alternative to a hair band if you want to get your hair out of your face and want to do it while still looking adorable. Add a bow a la Brigitte Bardot or Blair Waldrof, whichever you fancy.

What girl doesn’t want hair that is irresistible to the touch (for the boys or yourself)? Well this is the season for soft, luscious, touchable waves; so pull out your 1-1½ curler and get those Scarlett Johansson waves for your holiday parties or just to look extra cute for chemistry lab. The trick to getting this hairstyle without turning your hair into stiff, hard curls is to angle the curling iron away from your face and make sure to twist the barrel after holding it for 5-10 seconds. This may take a few tries to get but practice makes perfect or in this case effortless waves.