The Fabulous Life of Being Single, and Why You Should Enjoy It!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

“I just need a guy in my life, I want to be happy!”

We’ve all heard this phrase before and to be honest, I think I’ve had enough!

Over and over again I hear girls complaining about their relationships, questioning why a guy doesn’t have the same feelings she does for him, and why they’re single.

I’ve seen a number of girls “boy-hop” from one boyfriend to the next without catching a breath. -We get it, you love boys, and you can’t get enough of them, but there’s nothing wrong with taking a breather!  It would do us all good to be single for a while.

I understand, we have needs and want our man of steel protecting us from the villains of San Francisco, or to cuddle on the couch with us after a long day of kicking a*s at school, or work, but there’s nothing wrong with being single. And when I mean single, I mean no one-night-stands either. Friends-with-benefits is also just another version of a relationship that should really just be avoided. I’m not trying to say that you should break-up this instant, but if the relationship isn’t working out, get out of it and take a nice, man-free break.

No Boyfriend, No Problem!

I’m not saying that we should never, ever be in a relationship and hate men, but we should just be patient with ourselves, float on the river of life and see where it takes us.

Because it will happen some day! Our prince charming will drive up in his Toyota Corrolla, or step out of the MUNI train (let’s be realistic, I doubt he’ll ride a horse) and sweep up us off our feet. –Often when we least expect it.

But who says you can’t have fun without a man in your life?

Plan a Girls night Out & Don’t act like the 3rd Wheel

Head to Stonestown Galleria next to SFSU, or go downtown to Westfield Mall on Powell Street, and purchase the craziest, sexiest outfit – for yourself- and plan a girls night out in the city of unexpected events.

If you’re out with friends and you’re the only single one, mingle around with others, get to know your friend’s boyfriend, or girlfriend, have a drink, and enjoy the night! Your true friends won’t make you feel like the third wheel; you make yourself feel that way if you allow it. Jumping on some guy you don’t have true feelings for because you want to “join the bandwagon” is not going to solve your problem.

Get off Facebook!

Facebook, a social media network we can never get away from, has a huge effect on us young women. Many girls who have a companion, post photos of themselves with their boyfriend, or girlfriend, brag about it on status updates, and profusely describe their happiness with each other. We may not admit it, but some of us single ladies get a jealous from time to time, and that’s normal! That’s how our mind works. Sometimes we wish we had their life…or their boyfriend, but that’s not healthy either.

We have to remember that we are our own person. Wishing to be in someone else’s heels because they may have your ideal love life doesn’t make it easier for you to move on and enjoy your present freedom.

Looking through their profile will lower your self-esteem, make you feel depressed, and unwanted, when this should be the time you’re embracing your freedom.

Remember, live your life through action, thought and true personality, not through the Internet.

Finding yourself

As college women, this is our time to figure out what we want to do and who we really are. Some of us have our lives planned out while others don’t. Living the single life allows us to find out who we are and where we want to go in life. This is our time to experience new things and embark on new adventures whether it’s alone, or with a group of friends.

It’s important to have a lot of life experiences before taking the next big step, committing to someone, because we may not have get that chance after marriage.

I’m not saying that men are evil and won’t allow us to live our life, but it’s important to let be independent for a while so that we can grow.

As the famous fashion designer Diane Von Furstenberg says:

“The most important relationship in your life is the relationship you have with yourself. Because no matter what happens, you will always be with yourself.”

Hassina Obaidy

San Francisco

I'm a journalism major at San Francisco State University with a minor in Women and Gender studies. I have a passion for long, feature writing and reporting magazine type news that can help make a difference in the world. My goal is to write about topics that people don't recognize enough and make a difference using my words. I was raised in the tri-city area of the East Bay (Fremont, Union City, Hayward). Ever since I was in middle school, I've always wanted to be a journalist. It took one Kate Hudson and Matthew McConaughey film to inspire me to become a journalist. I loved Kate Hudson's character and lifestyle in How To Lose A Guy in 10 Days. I wanted to be just like her, but reality hit. I realized I can't have a fictional character's life, but my passion for journalism grew. I began to gain respect for journalists and the work they do. Although I commute from Fremont to San Francisco nearly every day for school, there's not a day that I regret it. I love the education I am receiving and the journalism department that I am a part of. Before attending SF State, I attended community college and wrote for the campus news paper. I was a feature writer then promoted to opinion's editor. After graduation, I want to be a magazine writer and enjoy life like Kate Hudson in How To Lose a Guy in 10 Days.
Jessica Schimm

San Francisco

Jessica is journalism major finishing her senior year at San Francisco State University. She founded and lead San Francisco State’s Her Campus branch as Editor-in-Chief for two semesters and now helps run it as managing editor due to other internships responsibilities.  Her passion for magazine and online journalism has led her current online internships at 7x7 and California Home & Design magazines in San Francisco. She also was the social media editor for her award-winning college paper last semester.When Jessica is not working hard in school she spends her time working on her blog, Women Who Run San Francisco and cheering on the San Francisco Giants (world series champs!!). Having been a competitive Irish dancer for 15 years, she knows that it takes practice, hard work and determination to meet her goals. It is through these qualities that she plans to become editor-in-chief at a leading women’s magazine.