Drake, Frank Ocean, and Nicki Minaj – March’s New Music

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

New music is dropping left and right, with Frank Ocean releasing his single “Chanel” Friday, March 10 and Drake releasing his “More Life” project on Saturday, March 18. Nicki Minaj also dropped three songs Thursday, March 9.

March is Women’s History Month and what better way to celebrate than listening to one of the biggest, baddest boss women alive?

Minaj had posted this photo, picturing her alongside Drake and Lil Wayne the same day, and sure enough, both rappers were featured on her songs. “No Frauds” features all three rappers and is a supposed diss track to artist Remy Ma.

From the start, the beat has very Drake vibes, similar to a few tracks on “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late.” But instead of Drake attempting to be the opposite of the heartfelt teddy bear he is, “No Frauds” begins with Minaj going in on Remy Ma with lyrics like:

“Tried to drop “Another One”, you was itchin’ to to scrap; You exposed your ghostwriter, now you wish you were scrapped; Heard your pussy on “Yuck,” I guess you needed a pap.”

Drake and Weezy’s verses wrap up the track, where they both mention how Nicki keeps getting finer:

“Drake a headliner, and Nicki, she get finer, word.”

Along with the release of Frank Ocean’s song “Chanel,” the French brand Chanel itself also released a couple advertisements relating to Ocean on Instagram. Very mysterious. There are two versions of the song, one of which features A$AP Rocky at the end of it. This version can only be found on SoundCloud, and the original is on Apple Music.

Drake’s “More Life” playlist has been playing in my room since it started streaming today at 3:30 p.m. on Beats 1 Radio, half an hour late from when it was originally supposed to stream. The playlist has shown many island vibes with a song titled “Passionfruit” and lyrics filled with talk of spray tans, but the songs also have a bit of an electronic touch.

I can’t say much more since I haven’t finished listening. Still awaiting lyrics that make me want to cry and call up six imaginary exes.

Valerie Duarte

San Francisco

An 18-year-old journalism student at SFSU. Los Angeles native. Very indecisive. Likes to have her cake and matcha lattes, too.