Do You Have Post Concert Depression?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

Have you ever seen a hot stranger in the street before? Have you ever had a moment with them and by moment, I mean eye contact or a shared a smile? Did you briefly picture what life would be like with them? Suddenly, your dreams get crushed when you both go your separate ways and now all you can think about is the hottie? You feel a little sad and empty inside. This feeling is similar to post concert depression, or PCD.

In July, I attended Bruno Mars’ 24K Magic World Tour in San Jose. As dramatic as this sounds, I was forming PCD before the concert even started. Bruno Mars is one of today’s top singers and performers. He was ranked number one on StubHub’s most in demand concerts for fall before that, he was ranked number three in the summer edition of the most in demand concerts. He put on such a great show, my PCD likes to sneak up on me sometimes.

I’m not a certified psychologist, but here’s how you know you have PCD.

1. You are too shook and don’t even believe that you just saw your favorite artist/band live.

As you’re exiting the crowded arena, you try to recollect yourself from that amazing performance you have been anticipating for the past week. You’re too shook from that encore performance you don’t even remember where you parked.

2. Taking it all in and reliving the moment

This happens at any moment after the concert. It could happen in your car, once you get home, the next day, or a week after the concert. Heck, even months. You close your eyes and remember that one specific moment of the concert that will always be in your heart. It could be the stadium singing along really loud together, a bomb ass guitar solo, a sad love song, or some sexy dancing *ahem*. You get this feeling in your stomach when you reminisce.

3. Going back to reality

It’s the day after the concert. You’re either slightly deaf from the music, hoarse from singing along, or hungover from it. It’s time to go back to reality. You’re either going to school or to work and all you can think about is the concert. You look back at your pictures and videos. You cringe at your videos because only you can be heard in the background with your screams and terrible singing. Those pictures and crappy videos are all you have as a memory of a fun night.

4. FOMO and jealously

After the Bruno Mars concert, I got a bad case of FOMO and jealously. Once the concert ended he was on his way up north to Oregon to continue his tour. He moved on and left his touch of magic in the Bay. When this happens, you go on your social media in search for videos of the concert in other cities. This creates FOMO, fear of missing out. That fear is missing out on: funny things happening during the concert, change of setlists, and pictures of your favorite singer chillin’ in the streets. That FOMO can also lead to jealousy. You’re jealous that Becky took a selfie with your favorite band member at a Waffle House or at a shoe store.

I hate you Becky.

5. You have been listening to your favorite artist/band on repeat

You sang the songs on the way to the concert, at the concert, and even after the concert. You know every lyric, back up vocal, and guitar solo. Everyone is sick and tired of you listening to the same songs over and over again. You start getting the feels when a specific song comes on and you begin to cry. BRB, gonna go listen to “When I Was Your Man.”

7. Feeling empty

After a while, the euphoria from the concert dies down and you get back to reality. However, that reality makes you feel empty. A part of you feels different. When you go back to look at videos and pictures, you just feel empty. To you it might sound dramatic. That’s probably because you’ve never seen your faves live before.

8. Mentioning that you went to the concert and saw your favorite artist/band in every conversation

You don’t realize you’re doing this until someone mentions it to you. After the concert, you end up talking non stop about it and the performer. You always try to incorporate the concert into a conversation. You can’t help it. It’s part of your PCD. If you have spoken to me between July and now, I’d like to apologize for name dropping Bruno Mars into our conversation. Not promising that I’m gonna stop doing that though.

9. Acceptance

The final phase of PCD is acceptance. You have to accept that the concert is over. You have to accept that your favorite moved on to another city. You have to accept that you’re broke. You have to accept that you must continue on with your life. You are a strong and beautiful person. You can get through this.

10. Looking at concert tickets

Experts say best cure for PCD is going to another concert. After Bruno Mars, I went to Kings of Leon. It was a good concert, however, I only knew two songs. That concert didn’t have the same feeling as the concert before. In October, I’m going to see Bad Suns. Again, a band I only know two songs from. November is going to be the month where my PCD will go away only to come back and haunt me. The 24k Magic World Tour is coming to Oakland.

Stay tuned for an update.

Alondra Vega

San Francisco '19

Senior at San Francisco State University.