samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Campus Profile Alden Tatum

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

(Interview conducted and reported by former SF HerCampus writer, Cynthia De Anda).

Name: Alden Tatum

Hometown:  Fairfield, CA

Major: BECA

Emphasis:  Directing

Year: 2016

Q: What got you interested in directing?  

A: I was always into stuff like Blue Planet and Shark Week as a kid, and wanted to make videos like those, so I pursued a degree in Marine Biology. Later, I realized how much I hated Calculus and decided that you didn’t need a Marine Biologist to film. I think I’d make a good director because I handle pressure very well.

Q: On your off time on campus, what do you like to do?

A: When I actually get a break from class, I make sure to get a coffee and drag myself to the village fitness center. I spend a lot of time in the creative arts building and on Wednesdays I make sure to swing by and hang out with our Broadcasting Club (CSB) in CA128. If you’re into broadcast and film it’s an awesome way to meet people and get involved.

Q: When you are not at school, what do you like to do for fun?

A: I love to surf Linda Mar or Ocean Beach when it’s not trying to kill you. To me there’s nothing better than being out there and trying to be a part of a wave.

Q: Where are some of some of your go-to spots to surf?

A: I started learning how to surf at Linda Mar beach in Pacifica so it has been my go to spot as a beginner. But lately I have been heading to Ocean Beach by Sloat St, despite how many near death experiences I’ve had there. The ride at Ocean Beach is a lot longer but it’s really difficult when the waves are huge. One spot I really want to surf is Fort Point, under the Golden Gate Bridge.

Q: Do you have any hidden talents? If so, please share! Are you an introvert or extrovert…?  

A: I can cook you a really fancy Mac & Cheese. JK but I will make you laugh your ass off after a few shots.

Q:What’s something most people don’t know about you?

A: I’m half Filipino! I know, I know, I look ridiculously white.

Q: What’s the first thing you notice about people?

A: The first thing I notice is someone else’s sense of humor. Usually after a few jokes are said you can tell what the other person thinks is funny.

Q: If you could try out any job for a day, what would you like to try?

A: Professional Sumo Wrestler or a Jet Ski Model.

Q: Relationship Status: Are you looking?

A: I’m not looking very hard, just seeing whatever happens.

Q: What are some turnoffs?

A: Complaining! A chick has to be ride or die haha.

Q: Describe the perfect outing.  

A:Head to the beach, eat some tacos, have a drink with good music .

Q: Describe yourself in four words.

A: That’s not enough words!

I'm a Sophomore at San Francisco State University majoring in Journalism. I went to San Marin High in Marin County, Novato, and was attracted to Journalism there too. I wrote for the school newspaper, 'The Pony Express' for two years and also enjoy reading, and shopping.