Blue Moon In Pisces: What Does It Mean?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

Did you catch the not so blue moon? Let’s talk about what it means for the rest of the month.

On August 30, 2023, there was a Super Full Moon in Pisces. Because it was the second Full Moon of the month, it was also known as a Blue Moon. Blue Moons are extremely rare, occurring just once every 2.5 years or so, making their existence something we should be aware of. 

The most affected signs are Gemini, Virgo, Pisces, and Sagittarius. 

Since Gemini’s ruling planet, Mercury, is in retrograde, this full moon may force portions of your private life to become public. Your personal and family life has a direct impact on how your work develops. Balance is necessary. 

For Virgo, the Pisces full moon is focusing your attention on your connections. This lunar event is driving you to examine what is and isn’t working in your relationship dynamics. 

Because this full moon falls in Pisces’ first house of the self, it encourages you to gaze deeply into your own mirror and examine the person you are, have been, and are becoming.

Sagittarius, this full moon urges you to realize that you have no control over where you come from or who you are linked to. You do, however, have power over where you choose to plant your roots as you develop. If you are unhappy with your current situation, this full moon will motivate you to take action.

The presence of two Full Moons in the same calendar month implies an enormous rush of released energy. Pisces is also a very dreamy, creative, and intuitive sign, so that energy is intensified for all of us right now. We may feel more psychic or connected to our spirituality. Something in our life may end, such as a relationship, a career, a trauma, or mental energies that are not ours to bear. Whatever is released during this unique Blue Moon, we are likely to be transformed. We will almost certainly be left with some new empty space in our lives. While this emptiness may be unnerving at first, it offers the promise and potential of something new springing from it.

This would be a perfect time to lean in and commit to our deepest desires and aspirations, as well as make passionate decisions regarding our relationships. With Saturn retrograde aligned with the moon, we have the chance to make our dreams come true. We may begin to manifest our desires, and they have a genuine potential to become a reality. 

Right now, we also have a slew of planets in retrograde. Pluto, Neptune, Uranus, Saturn, Venus, and Mercury are all in retrograde, so we may feel like we’re stuck in a rut. But, much as Pisces is a water sign, we may flow like water and easily remain in this in-between condition.

What should you be doing this month?

1. Manifest 

Use this time to write down or verbalize your manifestations for this next month.

1. Practice affirmations

Try these: “I am one with the universe, and the universe is one with me.”, “I am open to guidance and illumination.”

1. Prioritize alone time 

This full moon is going to drain a lot of your energy this month so make sure you find time to recharge.

1. Trust your gut

The full moon has enhanced your intuition for the rest of this month. Listen to yourself and your body. You are probably right. 

Lilah Rivera

San Francisco '27

Hi! My name is Lilah. I am from San Diego, CA and I am a first year dietetics major at SFSU