This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

Boring, dull, and anti-climatic are just a few words to describe Super Bowl 53. And that’s just describing the game itself. A word to describe the halftime performance would be disappointing, especially for SpongeBob Squarepants fans.

Before the Super Bowl, an online petition asking the NFL to have “Sweet Victory” played at the halftime show went viral and received more than one million signatures. The petition suggested that the song from the SpongeBob Squarepants episode, “Band Geeks”, should be played in honor of the late Stephen Hillenburg, who passed away in 2018.

It was up to Maroon 5, the halftime show headliner, to decide if SpongeBob and the Bikini Bottom Super Band were going to make their 1st Super Bowl halftime appearance. The band appeared for 15 seconds only to introduce Travis Scott. This left SpongeBob fans duped, bamboozled, and even smeckledorfed because they expected “Sweet Victory” and not the intro to “Sicko Mode.”

Fans shared their frustration and disappointment of Super Bowl 53 with SpongeBob memes on social media. Below are the best SpongeBob Super Bowl memes that you may or may not have seen on your timeline.

SpongeBob should have been more assertive and this would have been avoided.

The fry cook legend has spoken. Stay woke.

It would seem we have reached an impasse.  

“Sugar” is not the same thing as “Sweet Victory”, either.

There’s the guy who took your Super Bowl title! Don’t you want it back?

NOOOOOO! MY NAME’S NOT RIOOOOOTS!

Now that’s what I call and Unsweet Victory.

The MVP Award goes to Tom Tortellini Brady.

Click here to watch the full Super Bowl halftime show.

Alondra Vega

San Francisco '19

Senior at San Francisco State University.