BART Not One More Girl Program: sexual assault awareness month

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

As of Fall 2021, an estimated 88.5 percent of  San Francisco State students are commuters. Because the majority of our student body relies on public transportation, creating safer transportation conditions could have considerable impacts on both the mental and physical health of women. 

I have lived on campus the entirety of my time at San Francisco State. I relished in the ease of having my classes and meals a short walk away. Before this year, I didn’t frequent public transit, except for the occasional beach trip. Cut to January of Spring semester, I began commuting to my internship in Oakland. While I thankfully haven’t had any dangerous encounters on Bart, I heard about bystander intervention cards through social media. 

The Intervention cards are a part of a campaign entitled “Not One More Girl”. This initiative seeks to decrease sexual harassment and promote general safety for girls on Bart. The campaign rolled out in 2 phases, the first launching in April 2021. The second phase, which included the release of the intervention cards, began in September of 2023. The campaign also implemented other safety features, such as more frequent trains at night to reduce platform waiting time and fewer trains to limit emptier trains with fewer bystanders. 

They are supposedly offered at every station, so I decided I would pick some up on my next commute. The station attendant at Lake Merritt State was happy to offer me assistance but unfortunately couldn’t find any cards. I thought they might’ve ran out, when she told me that she has never been asked for one. However, when I asked the Bart Station attendant at Daly City station for an intervention card, he handed me a few from an organized holder.

There are two types of cards: a card to offer help and a card to receive help. The idea is that everyone  should carry both types of cards. If you are being harassed, you would hand a bystander the “You got me?” card. This informs the bystander that you are being harassed and requests they stand with you. If you suspect someone else is being harassed, you would hand them the “I got you card”, which provides instructions on next steps and a code word to contact Bart police. The cards are a bright blue and yellow, decorated with polka dots and roses.The vibrant design is a way to channel women’s creativity and resilience even during a difficult situation 

Whether you’re a BART regular or only ride for an excursion or two, try to get your hands on these cards!

Ruth Adams

San Francisco '26

My name is Ruth Adams and I am a second year Health Sciences and Biology double major. My hometown is Palm Springs, California. One of my favorite hobbies is scrapbooking. I am most looking forward to connecting with people that share common interests. During my time here, my goal is to bring awareness to issues on campus in a way that engages the student body.