Wellness

A Message To My Younger Self, A Mental Health Journey.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

Dear Younger Self,

In honor of Mental Health Awareness Month, I write this letter to you filled with gratitude for how far we have come. I know that right now, you may be feeling overwhelmed and uncertain about the future. You have faced so much adversity and challenges- struggling with your self identity, intimate partner violence, anxiety/depression, and the pressure to find your purpose in college and in life.

But let me tell you, we have overcome so much. We are not perfect yet, but we are getting there. We have learned to embrace our imperfections and use them as a source of strength.

When we left those toxic relationships, we were scared to open ourselves up to love again. But we found the courage to build a healthy and loving relationship with our current partner. We have learned to trust and believe in ourselves again and to set healthy boundaries in our relationships.

Likewise, our journey with anxiety and depression was not easy. But we learned to seek help and support and found professionals who could guide us through our healing process. We learned coping mechanisms and healthy habits that have helped us manage our mental health, even on the most challenging days. 

And now, we have found our passion in college that I truly believe will carry on into our career. It took a lot of trial and error, finding what worked for us and what we were able to handle while still being a college student, but we’ve found a balance and while we have some good days and bad days, we’re still here putting in the work to do what we love.  Through our growing involvement with Her Campus at San Francisco and our work at the Richard Oakes Multicultural Center, we can combine our love for event planning and writing with our passion for social justice. We get to plan events for marginalized communities, bring awareness to social inequities, and bring people together to heal. We’ve put on events like the Malcolm X Mural Celebration and the Womxn of Color Writer Series (featuring Her Campus at San Francisco) and as our second year in college comes to an end, we have so many ideas and several other events lined up for the next academic year. You don’t know exactly what Her Campus is just yet but let me tell you it’s one of the best things that we’ve ever gotten involved in. Nearly a year ago we submitted our first article, similar to this, a contribution to Mental Health Awareness Month with more of a highlight on Black Mental Health and the resources that are available. A year later, here we are, with our involvement in Her Campus San Francisco growing stronger and many great things soon to come!  

I know you may be feeling scared and uncertain right now, but I want you to know there is hope. You are stronger than you think, and you will overcome the challenges that lie ahead. Be gentle with yourself, seek help when needed, and remember you deserve love and respect.

With love and admiration, your future self.

Starr Washington

San Francisco '25

Hey everyone! I'm Starr and I serve as the Senior Editor for Her Campus at San Francisco. I'm currently a third year student at San Francisco State University majoring in Broadcast Electronic Communication Arts with a minor in Africana Studies. As Senior Editor, I am extremely passionate about amplifying the voices of my diverse team of writers. In my rare free time, I enjoy relaxing with my dog, watching reruns of my favorite shows, and scrolling on Instagram. Speaking of Instagram follow me @starr_wash!