jwkZ37Sw?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jwkZ37Sw?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Safety Tools To Protect Yourself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

Crime is a part of life anywhere in the United States but in San Francisco there is a heightened awareness of the issue. With smash and grab videos circulating online along with recent on campus incidents, this has sparked the question for many students, how do I protect myself?

In San Francisco, according to the Neighborhood Scout statistics, the likelihood of being a victim of a violent crime is 1 in 186 in SF that is in comparison to 1 in 227 in California. San Francisco State is situated in one of the safest neighborhoods within San Francisco. 

Due to recent on campus activities, this is making the campus community more vigilant about their surroundings. To help here are a few safety tools that you can keep on your person and why you should purchase them. 

1. Amazon Basics Emergency Seat Belt Cutter and Window Hammer Tool

This tool is helpful if for some reason you are in an Uber or Lyft and feel uncomfortable this could be the tool for you. This tool can cut a seat belt off and break car windows which allows for you to escape. For commuter students especially this can be an extremely useful device. You can purchase this one on Amazon for $9.10.  

1. SABRE Crossfire Pepper Gel

This is a great self defense item to have and the key to pepper spray is to have it sprayed at a distance, this one goes up to 18 feet. For those who might already have pepper spray, check that it is not expired, they only last three or four years from their manufacturing date. Something to keep in mind is if you go to a venue they do consider this a weapon and will not allow it in most stadiums, or arenas. You can purchase it on Amazon  for $14.88.

1. CRKT Williams Defense Key

One technique you are taught in self defense classes is if you do not have a safety tool available to put your keys in between your fingers and use that in your defense. This product takes that idea and loops onto your key hook, it is discrete being only slightly bigger than an average key. The key also has a handle to have an easier to grasp and the head of the device looks like a phillips head screwdriver. You can purchase this on Amazon  for $7.64. 

1. Streetwise Pain Pen 25,000,000 Stun Gun for Self Defense

This tool is disguised as a pen and can be charged by a USB rechargeable battery. The stun gun does include a safety switch for those who might on accident think it is an actual pen. This tool packs a punch and leaves what some describe as a burning sensation when even lightly tapped by the device. You can purchase this device on Amazon for $19.95.

1. Self defense classes

They say a knife is only as sharp as its wielder, and self defense tools are good to start with but classes can show you best practices. San Francisco State has self defense courses called RAD (Rape Aggression Defense) the time and date has not been determined. In the meantime you could attend a class at Impact Bay Area which has a variety of classes and a sliding scale of payment. For a 24 hour course it costs $650 and if you are in need of financial support is $250. 

Crime will always happen no matter where you are, and so it is important to remember to keep something on you to protect yourself. Having safety tools can give you peace of mind, allowing people to live their life and not be in fear of the world around them.

Jessica Sheppard

San Francisco '24

Hello, my name is Jessica Sheppard I am originally from Sacramento. I am currently a third year student at San Francisco State and pursuing a degree in communications. My aspiration is to be a professor of communications. I have a passion for rock climbing, gardening, baking and writing short stories. Reading is another favorite pass time of mine and my genre of choice is fiction. My LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/jessica-sheppard-sfsu/