5 People You Didn’t Know Were SFSU Alumni

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

Dina Eastwood graduated from SFSU in 1988 with a major in Broadcast Communications. You may recognize her from her famous ex-husband, actor Clint Eastwood, or from her E! Network reality show Mrs. Eastwood and Company. 

Jeffrey Tambor grew up on Tapia Drive in Park Merced and frequently wandered into the theaters of SFSU to watch rehearsals. In 1965, he graduated as an acting major. You may recognize him as George Sr./Oscar Bluth from Arrested Development or his incredible work as Maura Pfefferman in Transparent for which he won an Emmy.

Melba Pattillo Beals was one of the Little Rock Nine, the nine brave African American students who enrolled in Central High School setting a precedent for desegregating schools throughout the South. She graduated from SFSU in 1971 with a degree in journalism. Since then she has become a successful journalist and activist.

Stanley Mazor attended SFSU from 1960-1965 where he majored in mathematics. You may not recognize him, but he was one of the inventors of the world’s first microprocessor. Without him, computers would never be where they are now. For his work he was awarded the National Medal of Technology and Innovation by President Obama. 

Alex Borstein graduated from SFSU in 1992 with a degree in speech and communications, however, she decided to pursue a different course and became a famous actress. She first caught the comedy bug when she joined a student comedy troupe which put on free shows in Mary Ward Hall on campus. You may recognize her as the voice of Lois on Family Guy, or her work on MADtv. 

Rachel is a second-year history major at San Francisco State University. She's a pop culture junkie who's optometrist tells her she spends too much time reading and looking at a screen. Her special talents include singing the wrong words during karoke and dancing like Chandler Bing.