5 Fall DIY Decorations for Your Place

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

Well it’s the beginning of that time again and seriously, what’s not to love? The air is changing and the leaves are falling. But even though we’re getting the sense that the full on fall season is just around the corner outside, how can we get that same cozy feeling on the inside in our own homes? By some serious, hard core decorating. Now its great going to the store and looking around at all of the cute, seasonal decorations, but if you love crafting then why not create some of your own decorations? Not only will your place look absolutely amazing, but you’ll get to have some fun doing it all yourself! There’s a TON of different projects to take on, but here are just a few simple ones to start out with.

1. Chevron Pumpkins:

Materials:

• Pumpkin
  • Painters Tape
  • Paint or Spray Paint
  • Paint Brush

Steps:

• Take painters tape and tape off zig-zag shaped patterns across the entire pumpkin.
  • Once all taped up, paint or spray paint the entire pumpkin with color of your choosing.
  • When dried, peel off the tape.
  • Make any touch ups that are needed if the lines are rugged or smudged and you’re all set!

2.  Fall Leaf Mason Jar Candles:

Materials:

• Mason Jars
  • Fake Leaves
  • Sponge Paint Brush
  • Mod Podge (glue type paste)
  • Tea Light Candle
  • Ribbon, Straw or Rafia (optional)

Steps:

• Clean off your mason jar and apply thin layer of mod podge to the mason jar.
  • Take a leaf and put over the mod podge covered area, smoothing leaf onto it.
  • Immediately put another thin layer of the mod podge smoothly over leaf (it may take a few layers for it to start fully sticking to the jar).
  • Keep repeating until desired amount of leaves are covering the mason jar.
  • Once finished drying, you can tie the top of the jar with a ribbon or other type of material.
  • Lastly, put a tea light candle into the jar and you’re all set to go!

3.  Painted Acorns:

Materials:

• Acorns
  • Paint
  • Paint Brush
  • Glitter (optional)

Steps:

• Either find or buy acorns to use, but if you find them make sure they’re all cleaned up.
  • Just start painting! You can do as many layers as you’d like or any designs you’d like. If you didn’t use glitter paint you can also sprinkle on some glitter.
  • Let them dry and that’s it, super simple!

4.  Flower Jars:

Materials:

• Mason Jars
  • Flowers (fake or real)
  • Letter or Decorative Stencils
  • White Chalk Paint
  • Tape
  • Sponge Paint Brush
  • Paint

Steps:

• Clean off your mason jar and apply the white chalkboard paint with the sponge brush; apply a few layers so you can’t see through the jar.
  • Let the paint dry and tape the stencils to each mason jar.
  • Paint over the stencil in your choice of paint color and allow to dry.
  • Just stick in some flowers and put them out for all to see!

5.  Door Hanging Signs:

Materials:

• Wooden Letters
  • Paint (chalkboard paint looks really nice!)
  • Ribbon or Straw (something to tie the letters together)
  • Paint Brush
  • Bow (optional)
  • Hanger (stick on command strips might be best)

Steps:

• First paint your wooden letters with a paint of your choosing (I personally love chalkboard paint right now, but that’s just me!)
  • After letting your letters dry, tie each letter together with some type of ribbon, straw, etc.
  • If wanted, you can tie a giant bow at the very top or even attach a store bought bow.
  • Hang up your sign on a hanger (sticky command strip) and you’re all done!

•