22 Units and His Own Business — Campus Profile David Melville Is Ready To “Take Over The World”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

If working and going to school full time wasn’t already taking away precious time from super awesome extra curricular activities (like networking at the campus pub or binge watching everything on Netflix), try starting your own business and taking 22 units. Yeah, sounds impossible right? Oh no my friend, not quite. Campus profile and superstar David Melville is proving that 22 units and starting your own company is a piece of cake. Now, don’t we all wish it was that easy…and literal pieces of cake?

What are you majoring in?

I am Majoring in Business Administration, General Business focus, with an Information Systems  concentration in Coding languages and concepts. I am earning the SAP SFSU certificate using a University Alliance SFSU and SAP have.

Why did you decide to major in General Business?

I decided the General Business concentration to UNLOCK many electives and classes to use towards my degree under different departments of College of Business. I discovered that I like ISYS and IBUS classes and have taken many.

Are you really taking 22 units this semester?

This semester,  22 units at SFSU, last semester I took 24 units(mixed institutes), be careful! I work and take many classes up to my own level, and classes vary widely, some overlap. I have 3 classes overlapping on leadership this semester. Piece of Cake!

You also stated that you started your own business. Being a full time student and managing your own company doesn’t always leave much room for leisure. How do you manage such a full work load?

I manage my 80 hour weeks by having a great home life! My apartment is quiet and relaxing and I enjoy sleeping for my looks and my head. I discovered in education that we store what we have learned from short-term to long-term in the first few hours of rest, whereas we processes emotional stuff after sleeping 6+ hours. The take away is enjoy your beauty sleep, it will help you remember the material you study.

You have very ambitious goals. What motivates you to accomplish them?

I have been inspired to “take over the world” and was inspired by two mice who plotted to take over the World every night, mostly failing yet Pinky, and Brain, never gave up. The two friends persevered and it inspired me to never give up following my dreams and ideas; however 75% of my attempts and ideas don’t work, and that is okay, I only need 1 to succeed to make me a millionaire.

Why did you decide to start your own company?

I decided to start my company, AddedBenefits LLC, to empower Students and Customers in using new modular technologies to improve their lives. I teach coding and Raspberry Pi Technologies at the Non-Profit, NoiseBridge 501c.3, in the Mission @ 18th, I enjoy teaching other. Currently, in the Business world current events are widely viewed as a Technology Disruption. Tech Disruptions provide great opportunity in exploring new ideas and changing how our society uses technology.   

Tell us a little more about Added Benefits, LLC.

I created a Point of View, using Design Thinking, for a fictional Student Customer that is:

“Busy Student Bobbie needs to be economical and efficient in today’s competitive job market by using new technologies and the Internet of Things to insightfully allow him to be noticed for bigger projects that satisfy Career Goals.”

Creating a POV for a Persona is a tool I learned from SAP and Dr. Jin in Mobile Business Application Development, ISYS 573, in Design Thinking, a technique to problem solving.

My Business, and Student Employees, provide educational services to our Customers by acting like an Advisor. Our Goals of including introducing new and great tech to early adopters is realized by teaching Others to use the tech and providing some “Beta” on what technology can do for your life or business.

What are some things you have learned from starting your own business?

I am passionate to work on my projects because I have designed my business to include what I like to do. I like to Educate People and I like New Technology. IT Consulting and Raspberry Pi Technology interest me, and holds my attention; I feel that it is important to pursue interests that excite myself as an Entrepreneur. I need to be motivated each day to give 110% to my projects and customers.   

I learned that building relationships in my community and with classmates is most important, even more important than being “right”. Relationships with a banker in your neighborhood helps start Business Accounts and establish lines-of-credit. I learned that using an App or website, does not equal knowing a real person.

I was encouraged to network with classmates for success in Business. Other Students who are Finance and Design Majors have helped me with my business and ideas. Make Friends with others helped me decide who I wish to work with in my business on projects.

Any advice or recommendations about starting your own business to your fellow classmates?

I recommend standing out and making your voice heard so other classmate notice you for your contributions.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/S-F-State-students-block-plan-for-exclusive-soda-6644617.php

Participate in School events and Students actions are a great way to be recognized too. (note above quote in SF Gate for attending Pouring Rights Town Hall Mid Oct 2015). In the same breathe avoid burning a business relationship; In SF and Palo Alto the same IT People and Companies work with each other over time. If you disagree with a person from another group avoid harming the connecting, be polite and state not at this time but maybe on another project in the future. Being polite keeps the door open to working with each other in the future open.

Wow – some great advice from an individual who is proving to the world that a little hard work does pay off.