What You Need to Know About Football this Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Diego chapter.

USD football kicked off their 2015 season against San Diego State at Qualcomm stadium last Saturday. The team has been hard at work for the majority of August, and had a pretty good game. Unfortunately, we lost 37-3, but against a big D1 school who plays teams like Cal and Hawaii, our Toreros showed a lot of spirit. As a whole, the team looked good and they are excited for this upcoming weekend.

This weekend they play Western New Mexico, a team they have notoriously beaten, for their first home game of the season. With a win of 23-17 last season, the Toreros are expecting to do the same this time around. Come support your Toreros Saturday at 6 pm!

Switching gears now: when it comes to the NFL, you ladies, should know a little bit about what is going on this week. The 2015 season kicks off Thursday night when the Patriots (think Tom Brady) play the Steelers at 5:30 pm San Diego time. This is the start of the season, so be ready for every guy you know to be on the couch with a beer in hand watching.

If you’re wondering why your boyfriend, dad, or even roommate have been on their computers non-stop, the Fantasy Football Draft just happened, and with the start of the NFL season tonight, they are going to be super excited. They just drafted an accumulation of players from all different teams and made their own individual teams in a league with their friends. Their team members get points for passing, rushing, and receiving yards as well as touchdowns (just to give you the basics). They all compete against each other, which brings out everyone’s competitive nature!

To recap, fantasy football and the NFL starts tonight at 5:30 pm when the Patriots play the Steelers. In addition to this, our Toreros play Saturday at 6 pm against Western New Mexico, so come out and show them some love! 

California girl, born and raised in San Diego. Love sushi, Law and Order: SVU, and the beach. Communication major and English minor. Hoping to become a sports broadcaster one day. Love traveling, sports, and spending time with my family and friends. Check out @kellylinne on Instagram for more.
Orange County raised, San Diego living. What you should know about me: iced coffee, fro yo, fashion, Scandal, Semester at Sea. Director of Formal Recruitment for Alpha Phi at USD. Watch me daydream on Instagram @tayaugustin