This Week’s Campus Cutie: Marissa Alfano!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Diego chapter.

This week’s Campus Cutie is USD sophomore, Marissa Alfano! She’s funny, intelligent, and a genuinely good friend – meet Marissa!

Her Campus (HC): Where are you originally from?

Marissa Alfano (MA): I’m originally from a little town in Long Island, New York that’s about an hour and a half train ride from New York City.

HC: How old are you?

MA: 19.

HC: Why did you choose USD?

MA: My family actually moved to Manhattan Beach, CA the summer before my freshman year of college, so I wanted to go somewhere relatively close to my new home. It’s funny; I actually blindly applied to USD because my Dad heard from a friend that it was a good school. I knew nothing about it at all. I also remember telling myself I would never actually go to school in San Diego, but here I am.

HC: What is your major?

MA: I’m a Political Science and Italian Studies double major.

HC: What made you go for both?

MA: Aside from being Italian, I’ve been studying the language since middle school and loved it too much to stop in college. On the flip side, I’ve been fascinated with politics probably since my freshman year of high school. My friends and I would literally have heated political debates during our lunch break most days. It’s one of my favorite memories of high school.

HC: How are you involved on campus?

MA: I’m currently the Treasurer of the Italian Culture and Language Organization (ICLO) club on campus. I plan on getting more involved with things having to do with Political Science in the next couple years.

HC: What is your favorite thing about USD?

MA: The people I’ve met, the professors, the classes, the beautiful campus…honestly, everything. I love it here.

HC: What is your favorite thing about San Diego?

MA: Definitely the weather and the beaches.  New York doesn’t have the luxury of sunshine year round, and in the summers it was always really humid. The beaches out here also definitely top Long Island beaches.

HC: What is your dream job?

MA: I don’t have anything specific in mind yet, but definitely something in government. Working at the Capitol building in Washington, D.C. would be the ultimate dream for me.

HC: What is your favorite TV show?

MA: Probably The Office or Bob’s Burgers.

HC: Favorite movie?

MA: It’s a tie between Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, and an Italian movie called Cinema Paradiso.

HC: Who is your favorite musical artist? Why?

MA: I’d have to say Tyler, the Creator. He’s hysterical as a person and I really like his stuff. (One Direction is high key a guilty pleasure of mine, though…)

HC: What is your favorite thing to do?

MA: Definitely hanging with my friends. It’s my favorite way to de-stress after a long school day or week.

HC: Do you have any hobbies?

MA: I used to play piano and the double bass all the time. Since coming to college, I haven’t had time to. I miss it.

HC: What are your plans after college?

MA: Hopefully to start working and to start getting involved in politics! I’m excited.

Thank you for taking the time to speak with us Marissa!

Hi! My name is Sam and I am a senior at UC San Diego! What I love most about San Diego are the beautiful sunsets, the carefree atmosphere, and of course, the beach! I am double majoring in Communication Studies and Political Science with the hope of pursuing a career in marketing! I joined the HerCampus team because I have a passion for writing and I want to share my ideas! Thank you! Email: slpaul@ucsd.edu Instagram: @sammipaul