USD’s Efforts to Combat Sexual Assault

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Diego chapter.

A significant amount of controversy has been surrounding USD after sexual assault cases have increased over the last few years. With new initiatives being placed into state law, the school has been required to act and make changes of its’ own. There are multiple resources on our campus including the C.A.R.E. (Campus Assault Resources and Education) program, the Women’s Center, and the Health and Wellness Center, which all serve as places that students are encouraged to utilize during these unfortunate situations. But what is happening to prevent such cases, and what are students currently doing to make a change?

A large part of the national spotlight on this issue is surrounding the Greek community. In order to change this stereotype, many Greek leaders have come together to start a conversation about the issues and brainstorm ideas about how to combat them. Something new that is trending are sober events between fraternities and sororities that take place prior to having a dance with one another. The purpose is to encourage men and women to meet each other and socialize in a more comfortable setting before the possibility of alcohol comes into the equation.

With Sexual Assault Awareness Week just around the corner, taking place the week of April 13th-17th, there is much to look forward to. Several events will be held around campus including a Clothesline Project, which gives women the opportunity to decorate a t-shirt and tell their story about their experiences with sexual assault. There will also be a #USDCampusRising photo sharing week long for students to display how they are rising with the entire student body to eliminate the issue entirely. Other happenings include a Take Back the Night march and vigil in Plaza Mayor, a Shatter the Silence open-mic night, and a screening and community dialog of The Hunting Ground .

Since this has become such a prominent issue, more and more women may feel apprehensive going to parties and casually drinking with their friends, not knowing what could end up in their drink or where the night may lead them. With that being said, sexual assault is a reality for BOTH men and women and it is important to be responsible when drinking to ensure your safety in order to take your own preventative actions. Feeling unsafe and uncomfortable is never okay and you will always own the right to say NO. 

For now, the fight is not over on our campus and for us ladies, it’s good to remember that the appropriate resources are available and the community of USD is behind us. Be sure to attend these events and keep the #USDCampusRising against sexual assault!

LA Native. Sports Fanatic. Love the beach, sun, & FUN! Gamma Phi at USD. House of Cards addict. Communications major & Political Science minor. Hoping to work in the sports world post-grad! :) Check out my insta to find out more: ktlange94