Steps to Having a Successful Friendsgiving!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Diego chapter.

Some of us may not be able to make it home for Thanksgiving, or we may all just want an excuse to have a huge, fun dinner with our friends before the separation anxiety ensues over Thanksgiving break. Her Campus has all the steps you need to organize a successful Friendsgiving!

1.     Organizing

Invite all of your friends that will be home, but assign them each something to bring. The more the merrier, but ensure that everyone will have a good time, and that there will be plenty to eat (and drink)! Assign one friend appetizers, another fun drinks, a few to a side dish, and a few for desert! Foodandwine.com and bettycrocker.com both have plenty of great, and easy, recipes to choose from, for everything Thanksgiving.

2.     The Turkey

There is an un-written rule that the host should make the turkey. In our case, unless you are a very skilled chef, or have mastered the art of turkey making, you should leave this to someone else. Making a Turkey at home can be a 15-hour process. Save yourself time and buy one here in San Diego. You can easily buy one at Whole Foods, and lose all the stress of trying to make one yourself! But, make sure to cook the gravy and stuffing.

3.     Set the Table

To make this Friendsgiving truly a Thanksgiving meal, set the table. Make sure to include some Thanksgiving decorations, and even set out name places. This will ensure that everyone gets in the Thanksgiving spirit!

4.     Music

Make sure someone brings speakers and a playlist with all of our fall favorites, including, of course, Mariah Carey’s “All I want for Christmas is You.” We all know that Thanksgiving gives us an excuse to start jamming out to that song all over again!

5.     Give Thanks

Thanksgiving is a time to be thankful for all that you have. Make sure to look past this fun day filled with friends, family, football, and food, and be grateful for the people surrounding you. If you are taking part in a Friendsgiving, give your parents and relatives a call and tell them how much they mean to you.