Spring into Summer with the Best Make Up!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Diego chapter.

Spring is among us! Most may think this is the beginning of summer, but nope! This is a glorious California Spring. Although there is not much real seasonal changes, the process into the California spring-and-summer mix, is known around the world. The birds start to chirp, the bees start to buzz and the beautiful USD begins its transition into full bloom. In the midst of confusion on what to wear between the cold morning and nights and sweltering afternoons, our only way of identifying the season is truly through our make up. 

Make up for all women across the world is expressive of culture, identity, and self expression. From make up moguls like Huda Kattan, owner and face of Huda Beauty, to Jaclyn Hill, an incredible make up artist and YouTube sensation, partnered with BECCA Cosmetics in the production and release of her highlighter, Becca x Jaclyn Hill Shimmering Skin Perfector® Pressed – Champagne Pop. 

As the sun begins to get closer, and the flowers start to show, its now our time to look and feel like the gorgeous beauty around us. First and foremost, the foundation we use no longer needs to be as heavy. Summer makes us sweat more, so we end up clogging our pores more by wearing something that gives a little to no breathing room for our skin. In the winter this is not always the case. The colder climate keeps our pores closed not allowing for all the dirt and grime to sink deep into the pores and cause acne. In the summer, the reverse takes over and we are left with too light of a shade for our skin and sad acne when all we want to do is swim. One quick note: the coverage of the product may not at all be related to the heaviness of the product although that is the usual belief, so if hormones get the best of you each month (as they do me), don’t fret about coverage or sustainability! Make up is made for the wearer; it’s just a matter of finding what was made correctly for you.

In any sense, ditch the MAC matte foundation and trade in something light and luminous, like anything Laura Mercier or NARS. This years trend is all about that GLOW UP so illuminating foundations as well as illuminators are all the trend and we shall follow! Instead of contouring one’s face to be beautiful, this is about showcasing the best sun-catching angles we have and goodness, is it gorgeous. This trend speaks to many because its all about feeling in control of the beauty that you want people to see and feeling confident about! Honestly, it is an incredible step in the right direction to promote the love of a woman’s features instead of changing them. So you go, girlfriend, work that cheek bone angle! I would personally recommend Jaclyn Hill’s champagne pop because you can control the amount of glow, the type of glow, and it has this insane unicorn magic of matching everyone’s skin tone perfectly. 

This is Jaclyn, herself dosed in the gorgeousness of her product!

As well, its going to start to become so hot, spending so much time on a crazy eyeshadow design may get tedious and weigh down one’s beauty in the summer. Trade in the blacks for browns and whites for a pearlescent shimmer or gold. Don’t weigh down your eyes, show them off! If there is anything to possibly add more of around the eyes, think about fake lashes. They are all the rage and Huda Beauty is stream lining the best, softest and flirtiest of all the lashes. It’s the summer, of course we are going to fall in love and be swept off our feet by the new Mr. Life Guard at the local pool. We need gorgeous lashes to get us there and Huda did that for us. Also, ditch the eyeliner under the eye and use a lighter eyeshadow just below the bottom lashes. Open up your eyes, don’t let them get bogged down and smaller because of our beloved eighth grade trend!

The  last and probably best part of any make up routine has to be the lipstick. Lipstick doe not need to be ignored, but instead loved for the summer! Bright berries and cool peaches are all the rave. If one wants an industrial strength lippy, with a gorgeous array of colors, Anastasia Beverly Hills Liquid Lipstick is the place to go. They are lightly pigmented and stay for hours without any stickiness, therefore for your summer romance, you can kiss all night and only have to worry about where this make out sesh will take you later. The matte lip is a nice offset for the glow trend we are all to follow and obviously perfect for date night. If not, CLINIQUE astounds with their gorgeous lip stains that are bound to stay all day and still give just the right amount of color and lip-love. They truly have an array from a chubby stick form to a cute little round chapstick like container, so they are bound to please any style. 

Quicktip: Do not forget your primer! Most have SPF if your foundation does not, and it also provides a great canvas that will allow make up to stay all day without harming the skin underneath. As well, a setting spray never hurt anyone! In fact, it combats the movement of make up and rubbing from hands and fingers to extra insure that where the make up went on, it will stay. I recommend MAKE UP FOR EVER Step 1 Skin Equalizer Primer for any need out there and Urban Decay All Nighter Long-Lasting Makeup Setting Spray for a perfect setting spray.