Parisian Musts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Diego chapter.

With the fall semester rapidly approaching, many juniors will be venturing abroad for their studies. Excitement for all the amazing destinations that will be traveled to is at a high. If you are studying abroad in Europe, the options of where to visit are endless, and often a cheap bus, train or flight away. One of the cities that should be on the bucket list for anyone going abroad in Europe is Paris. With some of the most famous historic sites and museums to visit, you’ll never be bored. Here are a few of the must-sees in the city of love.

The Eiffel Tower

Duh. The first thing that pops into anyone’s mind when dreaming of Paris is the Eiffel Tower. This landmark is best climbed during the day in order to see the beautiful panoramic view it offers. However, once the sun sets and the tower lights up, the best way to see it sparkle is from the lawn with a bottle of wine and a baguette.

The Notre-Dame Cathedral

This historic Catholic cathedral cannot be missed. Located on an island in the middle of the fourth arrondissement, the Notre-Dame towers over those wishing to enter with its intricate gothic sculptures (including creepy gargoyles). While the line is intimidating, the inside of the cathedral is worth it. The beautiful stain glass windows deserves a closer look. The square in front is the perfect spot to people watch, with many small Parisian cafes surrounding it.

The Arc De Triomphe

Many people don’t know that you can actually climb the Arc De Triomphe, giving another vantage point to the city, and beating the long lines of the Eiffel Tower. Built in honor of those who have fought in French wars, the architecture and sculpturing is a sight to see. Located at the end of the Champs-Élysées (also home to many cute cafes), one could spend their whole day on this avenue window-shopping or visiting historic sites such as the arch.

The Louvre

This former royal palace is home to many of the most famous pieces of art in the world. The Louvre itself is a beautiful piece of artwork, surrounded by fountains and the glass pyramid. With thousands of objects, one could never see all there is to offer from this enormous museum. Some of the most celebrated include Nike of Samothrace, Raft of the Medusa, Venus de Milo, La Grande Odalisque, and of course one could never visit without seeing the most famous of them all, the Mona Lisa. Make sure to set aside a whole day for this one, you could get lost inside this museum easily.

Chateau de Versailles

While Versailles is a bit of a travel out of the city, you won’t regret a day spent in and out of the palace. The previous home to many French kings, this palace is full of splendor and riches that could make anyone feel royal. The Hall of Mirrors is the highlight of the palace, full of gold and intricate chandeliers that reflect off of the mirrors. But the true beauty of the Chateau resides in its sprawling gardens. With a vast lake in the center and many paths surrounded by forests and greenery, it is not hard to spend a whole day exploring. The best way to experience the gardens is to rent a bike and take a ride, much faster than trying to walk its entirety. You can even rent a paddleboat and sail across the lake! Finish the day with a stop at their café overlooking the lake for some tasty French cuisine.

Paris offers so much and these are only a few suggestions in a realm of many possibilities! Whether or not you’re studying abroad, this city should be on your list.

Special thanks to Zac Polmanteer for his photography!