Meet The Next Norah Jones, Eliza Rose Vera!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Diego chapter.

There is no one quite like Eliza Rose Vera. She is wildly passionate, intelligent, artistic, charismatic, and a fantastic friend and human. Many are lucky to know Eliza on a personal level, and that she is trusting, loyal and humorous. We sat down with Eliza on a warm San Diego day this past week, reminiscing on weekend festivities, school, boys, and most importantly, music.

Are you involved in any on campus activities, clubs, leadership groups, jobs, etc.? “I am involved in Outdoor Adventures as well as the International Business Club! I am a part of Broken Chain within International Business Club, which is a platform for local artists to sell their artwork while supporting a cause. Out of the proceeds we make from the art, 20% goes to Casa Luz, near San Jose, Costa Rica, a haven for adolescent mothers who come from extreme poverty and have been abused and/or exploited. I went to visit Casa Luz, “The House of Light,” for a week over winter break to meet the adolescent mothers with three other Broken Chain members. We made jewelry with the girls and also painted a mural on the shelter wall! It was an amazing experience and I plan to return to Casa Luz several times in my life to spend time with the girls.”

What is your major? “I am a Business Administration major graduating this December ’15.”

If you could have your dream job, what would it be? “My dream job, which I will make a reality, would definitely have to be a professional touring musician. I want to tour the world some day playing my music.”

What are some of your hobbies/favorite activities? “I have too many hobbies, but the ones I do the most are singing/songwriting, music playing (any instrument), hiking, painting/drawing, yoga, swimming, reading and anything outdoors!”

I know you love playing the guitar and you are an incredible singer, where do you draw your inspiration? “I draw inspiration from several places. When I listen to artists/bands such as Norah Jones, Amy Winehouse, The Head and the Heart, Allen Stone, and so many others, I am filled with inspiration. Similarly, seeing any live music is incredibly inspiring to me and I often find myself wishing I were up on the stage playing for the crowd. After seeing a concert I can easily come home and play music for hours. But honestly, I find inspiration in even the littlest most insignificant moments in my life. Every day is an inspiration.”

When you perform, do you write your own lyrics, doing covers or both? “I love to play both! The fun part about covers is that if you pick the right song usually people know it and can sing along with you! I love that. It makes performing so much better when the crowd participates. I totally feed off their energy. I also love playing my originals too, because I pour my heart and soul into them, so it feels so great to share that with people.”

Where are some of the places you’ve had the chance to play? “I have played the majority of my shows in the local San Diego area. Specifically, I have played at Lestat’s Coffee shop, The Lazy Hummingbird, The Merrow, Brick by Brick and USD too! One of my life goals is to play at Red Rocks in Colorado.”

When did you start singing? “I have been singing in choir since kindergarten, but I had never sang solo in front of anyone until 5 years ago at summer camp. At summer camp everyone is so supportive, so I knew it was a great time to get over my nerves and just give it a shot. So I gave it a go and stood in front of about 800 campers and staff members to sing ‘Luckily Me’ (My first song I ever wrote—on my original EP on Itunes/Spotify). I was shaking. I announced to them how nervous I was and that I had never done it before so to please bare with me. I sang my song, looking down at the lyrics scribbled in my notebook the entire time. When I was finished there was a moment of silence and then the whole camp started standing up and applauding me. I looked out at all of them and had this realization that that was exactly what I am meant to do. I had never felt that feeling before than I did in that moment, and it is the same feeling I get after every show I play now.  I know I am where I am meant to be in those times.”

How has music shaped you as a person? “I thank music for my peace and serenity. My freshman year of college I dropped my guitar and broke it. I brought it to the repair shop balling my eyes out to the repairman and it was there for about a week. I remember feeling so down that week and my friends even asked me if I was okay. I need music to survive and stay happy. Furthermore, music has taught me patience and discipline. I practice hours and hours some days and if not I try to make a point to at least pick up my guitar for ten or so minutes every day. I sing constantly too, because if I don’t I lose my strength and muscle memory. Sometimes it takes me weeks to learn one song if it is very difficult, and I owe my patience to this process. It has really shaped me in every way, but those are just a few ways.”

Where can we find some of your music? “You can find my music on Spotify, Itunes, Bandcamp, Soundcloud, CDbaby, and Amazon! Just search Eliza Rose Vera. I plan to come out with a new album, hopefully by the end of this semester (May 2015), so stay on the lookout! If you look on my Facebook page (Eliza Rose Vera—musician/band) I always post my upcoming shows!”

Who is the most influential person in your life and why? “Oh, for sure my mom! I don’t think I can describe how much I love her with words really. She is my best friend. She is the best mom. She raised me on her own and is the strongest person I know. This past November, she moved out here to San Diego to be closer to me and I couldn’t be happier. I look up to her strength, optimism, caring nature, empathy, fun-loving attitude, and dance moves. She is the bomb. YA mama!”

Follow Eliza on Facebook and Instagram (@elizarosevera)! 

Jamie Eddy

San Diego

Hi! My name is Jamie and I am a Junior at the University of San Diego. What makes me happy is being outdoors, spending time with family and friends, trying new and exciting activities, and most of all, traveling. I am a Communication Studies Major with the hope of pursuing a career within the fashion industry. I decided to join the Her Campus team because I want my voice to be heard. I believe there is an unbelievable amount of topics that need to be addressed and people that need to be recognized. I hope you enjoy! email: jamie.eddy@gmail.cominstagram: @jamieddyy