The Girl Everyone Knows: Taylor Miller aka T-Gang!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Diego chapter.

This week’s campus celebrity happens to be one of the most fun, loving, and just fun-loving individuals at USD! Many people know her and if you don’t, then after reading this, you will wish you did… From her friendship philosophies that we should all take a lesson from to her branded name, let’s learn a little bit more about T-Gang!

Hometown: Saint Louis, MO

Major: Environmental Studies

Year: Senior

Nickname: T-Gang (Taylor Gang)

How did you acquire such a nickname? Back home, my friends and I listened mostly to country music and only heard rap music at parties so I didn’t know the recent bangers coming into college. Freshman year, when I would introduce myself, people would ask, “like Taylor Gang?” I had no idea what they were referring to until I finally learned that Wiz Khalifa coined his group Taylor Gang. I soon started introducing myself as “Taylor, like Taylor Gang.” It stuck like glue. A lot of people do not even know that my last name is Miller!

You are known to be all about the people.  How do you facilitate involvement? ​Being an only child, I used to love hanging out with everyone when I went to school. I never understood how people could exclude others. No one likes to feel left out and you never know what people are going through. So I believe you should always be considerate in how you treat people. I’m an outgoing person, and I truly care about my peers. I don’t care about keeping up an image, but it seems I have acquired a large one, as “T-Gang” is a household name here on campus. I either invite people to events or hold my own so we all can have some fun. Our school is too small to be so exclusive. By involving everyone, you create opportunities for people to appreciate others outside of their preferred La Paloma group. I’m not even kidding! When people have visitors at USD, they make it a priority for them to either meet or even hang with me because I also love to facilitate the fun. 

What are you involved with on campus? I am the outgoing VPt of the Association of Environmental Professionals. I had the opportunity to network with firms to foster student based relationships and plan networking events through holding that position. I’m also a member of some other clubs, but I only go for the food so there is no reason to mention them haha!

What’s with your hats? On the outside looking in, I’m sure it looks like I just want to promote myself, but I created these hats for a bigger purpose. No one knows exactly what that is so I’m glad you asked. If you haven’t seen my hats, they resemble frat/sorority snapbacks, being that they are neon and have block font. “Taylor Gang” is a group created by Wiz Khalifa. Over my four years here, I have established my own “Taylor Gang.” Although the majority of my friends are in Greek life, some are not. I never rushed, but I was always involved and accepted in different groups on campus. I am lucky to have a huge friend-base, and even after college I hope that I can stay connected with the majority of my friends. I’m a mentor and “big sister” to a lot of younger ones on campus. For example, when they feel down or not their best selves, they come to me. The hats and the people who have them symbolize a lot of things. For one, the hat means you like to have fun and you’re good at it. Second, I will always be here for even though I may not be seen on campus. I will always have their backs. That second reason, why I made the hats look like those of a frat/sorority, is because we are bonded for life. From friends who are three years older than me to my “babies” who are years younger, I love all the friendships I have made here at USD. 

You love your GoPro.  Tell us a little bit about that. I got the GoPro to capture memories so I always try to have it on. I made a few videos of some get-togethers that I think a few people have seen. 

As a graduating senior, what are your future plans? I just accepted a position to intern at Source Intelligence so I will be staying around the San Diego area. This means that I will also be continuing my weekly visits to Chic-Fil-A, which occur on Saturday during the mid-day hours if anyone wants to join! I plan on becoming an important influence on environmental affairs in the US. Hopefully my charisma transfers into the real-world. 

What is the legacy you hope to leave behind? People constantly ask me: “How can one be like you, T-Gang?” or “How do you know everyone?” I always laugh and just avoid actually answering those questions because I really don’t know haha. The best way to be like me is to be yourself and be a leader. A leader isn’t always the one making decisions. The best kind of leader is one whose actions reflect their values and intentions. I appreciate people, love being around them, and, as you can see, I have a lot of friends. Things I value can be seen in my actions; therefore, I don’t have to talk about them. My friends know I care because of how I treat them. People know I love Chic-Fil-A because I eat there a lot. My legacy, if I were to have one and be able to leave it behind, would be that all my friends accept how epic they are and emulate their worth in their actions knowing they made it into “T-Gang” because they are the shiz. No one’s opinion confirms or disproves their self-worth. 

What will you miss the most about USD? I will miss my professors and department very much. The people in the ocean and environmental department are some of the strangest and most epic people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. Nothing beats going out on a boat for four hours every week and struggling to determine if the sand is silty-clay or sandy-silt. I will also miss knowing everyone here. I walk across campus and can recognize almost any and every face. Being dispersed in the real world will be a scary time. I will be walking on eggshells initially in my new friendships and not be able to show how crazy I am about Beyoncé and Scandal in my first verbal exchanges. I shouldn’t miss too much though because the “babies” have made me sign a “contract” promising to stay in their life. Hopefully I can swindle some meal swipes and eat at the SLP on occasions. 

Thank you, T-Gang! You will be missed but never forgotten. Your legacy lives on.