Campus Cutie Cousin Edition: Meet USD Legacies Megan McDonnell & Clay Oliver!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Diego chapter.

This week’s Campus Cuties are the well-known dynamic duo that happen to have quite the family history at USD. Their grandparents met here while Mike, aka Papa, was studying at the College for Men, and Kathy, now known as Nana, at the College for Women. (Fun Fact: These two colleges did not merge into the University of San Diego until 1972!) All four of Mike and Kathy McDonnell’s children went to USD, and two of the four met their spouses here, which adds up to a total of 8 family members. This makes Megan and Clay numbers 9 and 10 from their family to attend USD. Let’s hear a little bit more about these cousins, Megan McDonnell and Clay Oliver, and their experience going to college together!

Her Campus (HC):  Where are you both from?

Megan McDonnell (MM):  Orange County, California.

Clay Oliver (CO):  Boise, Idaho.

HC:  Megan, you are from the OC and, Clay, you are all the way from Boise… So why USD?

MM:  My entire family went here. As you know, my Nana and Papa met here. Naturally, USD was my number one school, so when I got my acceptance letter, I was stoked. 

CO:  I applied to several schools during my senior year of high school. USD was not originally at the top of my list, but as I got back my acceptance letters, I thought about it more and more and about how cool it would be to carry on the family tradition. I considered how fun it would be to go to school with my cousin, and it just made sense. So yeah, now I’m here.

MM:  Clay called me and said, “Hey! So I am officially going to USD,” and that made my decision that much more incredible and awesome.

HC:  What is the best part about having your cousin here at USD?

MM:  It’s like having a constant support system for sure, sincerely. Family is super important to me, and having Clay close to me is a huge blessing.

CO:  I just like having that strong shoulder to cry on, you know? Especially whenever I have a long day in the library.

HC:  What is one of the funniest moments you have shared together?

CO:  I can’t think of any particular instance, but more often than not we will be mistaken for a couple. So… I don’t know what to think of that, but I just want to make it clear that I am an eligible bachelor. I am not dating my cousin!

HC:  What are your plans for next year as juniors?

MM:  I’m planning to study abroad in Ireland, and it is going to be super sick! I am so excited. I’m also planning on trying to bartend at a local pub to really immerse myself in the culture.

CO:  I, too, have my own studying program. I will be doing SAC, which is also known as Semester at Copley. If you need me, I will be down in the Stacks studying away. But actually, I will be here in the Fall living down on the beach: 728 Ensenada Court. Stop on by, the door is always open!

HC:  What are your life goals or aspirations for after college?

MM:  I am a Communications Major. I really do enjoy talking and communicating with people. An aspiration of mine is to be a talk show host or have my own talk show one day, and then on the side casually own a vineyard. That’s a life goal, for sure.

CO:  I would like to be a professional off-road racer and fisherman in my spare time.

HC:  What is your major, Clay?

CO:  I am a biochemistry major, and a finance minor.

HC:  What is one of your favorite quotes?

CO:  “Life is short. Stunt it.” Rod Kimble. (For those of you who do not know, Hot Rod is one of Clay’s favorite movies.)

MM:  “Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation.” John Wooden.

HC:  Finally, can you share a beloved family pastime?

MM:  Definitely hanging out with our family at our River House in Parker, Arizona. We do all types of activities like off-roading, wakeboarding, and fishing. Really anything with our family is always the best! Clay, do you concur?

CO:  I second that notion.

Keep killin’ it, cousins!