10 Ways to Stay Sane with a Busy Schedule!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Diego chapter.

At the beginning of a new and busy semester, it is easy to become overwhelmed with your new list of responsibilities. Use the following tips to help yourself stay on top   of your busy schedule!

1. Get Organized!

GIF by Giphy

Organization is the key to sanity when you’re constantly running from work to class and back. Fill out your planner as soon as you get your syllabus! Make sure that   you have more than one notebook and one folder, have a clean study space, and keep a running list of things that you need to do. Post it notes, highlighters, and calendars are your keys to staying on top of a busy schedule!

2. Actually go to sleep…

GIF by Giphy

Having a crazy schedule does not mean that you need to become an insomniac! During hectic times you may need to stay up until 3 AM, but don’t make it a habit. Get between 6-8 hours of sleep every night and make sure that you’re waking up at a decent time. This will keep you from slipping into lunacy and letting your responsibilities get the better of you!

3. Set up reminders on your phone…

GIF by Giphy

Are you completely focused when writing in your planner but totally distracted the second you leave your room? Set up reminders on your phone to keep yourself on track.

4. Eat Healthy

GIF by Giphy

A busy schedule may not leave much time for cooking, but that doesn’t mean you need to switch to an all In-n-Out diet (as fantastic as that sounds). Spend a little extra time planning out meals and preparing yourself for the week so that you will feel as energized as possible.

5. Make time to exercise!

GIF by Giphy

Exercising relieves stress and keeps you healthy! Make time to exercise as often as you can to prevent yourself from becoming overwhelmed.

6. Give yourself at least a little bit of “me” time

GIF by Giphy

You are not a machine – if you try to run nonstop you will run out of energy. Give yourself at least thirty minutes a day to relax! Whether you enjoy catching up on Netflix, getting your nails done, phone calls with your best friend, or just taking a walk away from your laptop, spend a little time doing something you enjoy every day.

7. Be aware of your schedule every day!

GIF by Giphy

Your tedious organization will be useless if you have no idea what you’re supposed to be doing! Be aware of your class and work schedule, upcoming papers and any appointments at least the week before so that nothing sneaks up on you!

8. Keep your space clean

GIF by Giphy

Your room should be your space to relax after a long day spent checking items off of your to-do list! A cramped, cluttered mess will not put your mind at ease. Keep your floor clean, your bed made (when possible), and your desk free of too many random papers in order to keep yourself from feeling overwhelmed!

9. Focus on your goals!

GIF by Giphy

Whether you’re taking 20 units and striving for a 4.0 or working overtime to save up for a new car, keep your goals in mind. That two page paper may seem unimportant, but if you’re striving for an A, you need to be on top of your game. Hang a picture of your dream car, an assortment of inspirational quotes, or even a post it note by your mirror. Little reminders will keep you on track for success!

10. STAY POSITIVE!

GIF by Giphy

Sometimes you may question why it’s even worth putting yourself through so much stress (See # 9 if this is you). But you cannot let negative thoughts keep you from pursuing your goals. You’re busy for a reason, and laziness never makes you the best.

Hi! My name is Sam and I am a senior at UC San Diego! What I love most about San Diego are the beautiful sunsets, the carefree atmosphere, and of course, the beach! I am double majoring in Communication Studies and Political Science with the hope of pursuing a career in marketing! I joined the HerCampus team because I have a passion for writing and I want to share my ideas! Thank you! Email: slpaul@ucsd.edu Instagram: @sammipaul