brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

10 Trendy Places to Explore in San Diego

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Diego chapter.

Living in San Diego has a lot of perks. The beach is basically in our backyard, there is an endless amount of sunshine for outdoor activities, it’s a laid-back and relaxed atmosphere, and there are awesome businesses to explore! From cool coffee shops that are perfect for studying, to decadent dessert marvels and restaurants with a view, the city of San Diego offers us so many trendy and alternative options with awesome atmospheres to spice up the humdrum of our redundant lives by the beach. Although it would be impossible to review every “Insta-worthy” foodie destination, here are some trendy spots you should visit and post a picture to your ‘gram sometime soon!

Coffee and Tea Collective

With décor described as “hipster-minimalist,” artfully designed lattes, and, better yet, stylish Belgian street waffles, who wouldn’t want to check out this place? Sounds like the perfect opportunity for a food pic! Coffee and Tea Collective can be found in North Park. Follow @candtcollective.

Better Buzz

Arguably already a USD favorite, Better Buzz Coffee Lab on Mission Boulevard is home to specialty drinks like the Best Drink Ever (that’s actually the name of the drink) and awesome acai bowls. Being located in Mission Beach, it is a convenient stop for a cup of coffee with a friend. Buzz on over to @betterbuzz, where life is better buzzed. 

Lestat’s Coffee House

This 24-hour café is the perfect place to pull an all-nighter! You won’t fall asleep with the aroma of their strong, handcrafted coffee in the air. Plus, Lestat’s offers an assortment of food items and pastries to nourish you. With lots of tables, space, and outlets for charging, you don’t need to worry about a crowd. Located in Hillcrest, it is conveniently close to campus! Indulge in @lestatscoffee.

Hammond’s Gourmet Ice Cream

Why not cool down on a sunny, San Diego day by stimulating your senses with tropical ice cream from Hammond’s Gourmet Ice Cream? This is a vacation for your taste buds with flavors such as Tahitian Vanilla Honey Macadamia Nut, Toasted Coconut, and White Pineapple Sorbet. Follow the flavors @hammondsicecream.

The Baked Bear

Get ready for a re-vamped ice-cream sandwich! Pacific Beach’s The Baked Bear is famous for their delicious cookies, ice cream, and option to combine the two together to form a tasty treat. See for yourself @thebakedbear.

Sol Cal Café

Want something that not only looks and tastes good, but is also good for you? Then you have to try Sol Cal Café! Everything is organic and the food is just about every type of -free you can think of (i.e. gluten, soy, vegan, GMO, dairy, etc.)! Their fresh ingredients match the fresh, bright, and clean ambience of this cute café. Check out @solcalcafe.

Chocolat

This “Romantic European-Inspired Bistro, Creperie & Cremerie” not only offers breakfast ALL DAY, but also authentic and unique lunch, dinner, and dessert options with much of the food made fresh onsite.  If you are in the mood for espresso, teas, pizzas or paninis, check out this trendy place located in the Hillcrest area.

George’s At the Cove

Fantastic food plus a breathtaking view of the La Jolla Cove, which can be seen atop the rooftop deck, makes the dining experience one-of-a-kind. Although a little pricy, it is an ambient place to have a beautiful birthday dinner and even a romantic spot to spoil a special someone…

Zymology 21

Whether you love or hate Chemistry, who wouldn’t want to sip drinks from test tubes and beakers? Creative art décor and an energetic atmosphere combine to electrify this venue located in San Diego’s Historic Gaslamp District Downtown. See all the excitement @zymology21!

The Patio on Lamont Street

The Patio on Lamont Street gets its name from its location in Pacific Beach. “Eclectic cuisine, worldly wines, local brews and cool cocktails” is not the only things this bistro has to offer. A wide array of food options are also served at any time of the day in this modern, earthy environment. Discover @thepatioonlamont.