This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

Ashley Graham is breaking oundaries in the modeling industry!

If you don’t know already, Ashley Graham is a plus sized model making a name for herself as well as other plus sized models in the industry for over a decade.

Born in Lincoln, Nebraska on Oct. 30, 1987, Graham began her career by signing a modeling contract with Wilhelmina Models after attending a modeling convention. 

Throughout her career, she has already been featured in top magazines such as Sports Illustrated, Vogue, Glamour, and Harper’s Bazaar. She is also a judge on the most recent season of America’s Next Top Model, showing how society’s view towards plus sized models is changing.

Although she has proven herself to be a very talented and successful model, she has expanded her efforts and has made a major impact as an influencer for body positivity, including a TED talk she gave addressing her experiences growing up and how she believes the modeling industry should change.

“We need to work together to redefine the global image of beauty, and it starts by becoming your own role model,” Graham says.

Graham believes not only plus sized women should be represented in the fashion industry, but women of all shapes and sizes. Over the past few years she has collaborated with several clothing lines to make quality clothing for plus sized women who feel under-represented in the market.

Graham has been overwhelmed by love and support from people who have been positively affected by her message.

“I hope they look in the mirror and say, ‘I am beautiful,’” she says. “When you do that, it’s a whole other ball game—you start to understand that your words have power.”

Xena Metzger is currently a writer for HerCampus in the Salisbury University chapter. She joined because of her interest in writing and wanted a platform to share her own interests. In her free time, she enjoys playing volleyball, and reading thriller novels. Fun fact about her, is that she’s gotten up to over level 1000 on three separate Candy Crush games. She is an accounting major and after college, she plans to get her CPA license, and possibly go to graduate school.
Stephanie Chisley is an outgoing go-getter. Originally, Stephanie is from Oxon Hill, MD. She is currently a student at Salisbury University where she is studying Communication Arts with a track in journalism and public relations and a minor in Theater. While attending Salisbury University, Stephanie currently holds an executive board position as the secretary for Salisbury's Society of Professional Journalists . Stephanie plans on becoming an anchor for E! News or a writer, radio host, and announcer for BuzzFeed. In her free time, Stephanie is always on her phone scanning through social media, communicating with her friends, and finding new places to eat near her area.