This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

Many of us have seen crows in a large group poking around the grass. You may have never stopped to think about them, or perhaps you find yourself a little afraid of them. After all, crows are infamous for signifying some sort of bad omen. However, there is more to these birds than you may think.

Source

Crows, are actually the second most intelligent birds on the planet, behind ravens. They have the ability to recognize individuals and have a great memory. Studies have revealed they can learn to use tools and can even learn to talk!

Yes, crows can learn to talk. In fact, the Salisbury Zoological Center has a rescue crow who loves people and seems to enjoy the look on people’s faces when he surprises them with a “hello!”. Since crows can recognize individuals, it is possible to establish a relationship with them. I don’t know about you, but to me, that sounds like anything but a bad omen.

Crows are just one example of how animals are constantly proving to be more intelligent than originally believed, not less. The ‘small’ size of bird brains initially led scientists to believe they were primitive and did not have the capacity for intelligence beyond instinct. However, further research has revealed that crows, and other birds, use their limited brain space wisely and fill it with experiential knowledge.

Source

Animals hold intelligence in a variety of ways, even if it is different than humans. The vast intelligence of crows, even on a human scale, points to the need for humans to treat animals with respect. The exploitation of animal for human pleasure is often rooted in the belief that humans are superior to animals. Although we may be different, animals have their own intelligence, capacity to suffer, and desire to live.

By pushing through societal norms and educating ourselves about the vast intelligence of animals, we can begin to repair our relationship with them. Next time you pass by a crow, let them serve as a reminder to treat our fellow animals with respect. If you want to learn more about the problems with animal exploitation check out the documentary Earthlings on YouTube.

Nicole is an Environmental Studies and Economics double major at Salisbury University who is passionate about animal rights. She strongly believes in the benefits of a minimalistic plant-based lifestyle. She is on a journey to self love and minimalism and is excited to share her progress and advice along the way. Finally, she is dedicated to yoga and running as forms of stress relief and confidence boosting. All her passions and lifestyle choices come back to her deeply rooted love for animals. Nicole believes showing compassion truly manifests itself in beautiful and positive ways in life. She is prepared to share with you the means of achieving a more meaningful, compassionate, and joyful life with her articles.
Amalia Parran is a senior at Salisbury University. She is Co-Correspondant for Her Campus Salisbury. She loves to learn about other cultures, and how they differ from her own. Currently, she spends her free time watching anime and volunteering at the Wicomico Humane Society. After she graduates, she hopes to work for a marketing company in the DMV area.