This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

A few weeks ago, I binged the new Netflix series Russian Doll. Starring and directed by Orange is the New Black’s Natasha Lyonne, Russian Doll is a crazy, matrix like story with a mix of darkness, sci-fi, and satire.

Following New Yorker Nadia, who keeps dying and coming back to life on the night of her birthday, the show has you questioning how time, dimensions, and the mind truly work. The show is a confusing montage of events including a missing cat, drugs, and multiple deaths.

Russian Doll keeps you intrigued with a cast of colorful characters, and Natasha Lyonne’s familiar sarcastic banter. The show also explores issues with mental illness and family structure. Although it may leave you snickering in some scenes, there are also many “WTF” moments, some that are very bleak to watch.

According to Lyonne’s interview on the Late Show with Stephen Colbert, Russian Doll is a project 7 years in the making. Lyonne states that it is partly based on experiences in her life.

With hundreds of twists and turns and alternate realities, the end of the show may have you confused, but understandably so. It leaves you wanting more and might have you spiraling into an existential crisis.

Natasha Hawkins

Salisbury '20

My name is Natasha Hawkins and I am currently a Junior at Salisbury University! From a young age, I loved to read and write. If only for a little while, it would help me take my focus away from the obstacles of life. Theatre and film have also done this for me. I hope to combine my skills as a writer, my perspective as an African-American woman, and my interests in theatre and film to inform and entertain other people. 
Nadia Williams is a senior studying Political Science, Communications and French at Salisbury University. She enjoys writing about policy, media and culture. She hopes to use journalism as a tool to empower others to play an active role in their communities.