Why New Years Resolutions Are Trash

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

We’ve finally reached that time of year in which people reflect on what they’ve done and set goals for what they want to do in the new year.

We call these goals “resolutions.”

Year after year, people create resolutions for their health, career, finances, etc.

But I have two questions for you: Did you follow through with the resolutions you made at the end of 2016 in 2017? Do you remember what those resolutions were? Because I don’t.  

Year after year, I wrote lists of resolutions, ranging from short to long-term goals, that I hoped to achieve in the new year.

Year after year, I never followed through with these resolutions.

I used New Year’s Resolutions as a procrastination tool. I was literally saying that this goal was extremely important to me, but I would only work on it after the clock struck 12 in Times Square.

After that, I would either misplace the paper I wrote my resolutions on, or added them to the next year’s list.

I never followed through with my resolutions because I created them with the intent of pushing it off.

The reason why many of us never achieve our goals is because we push them aside until it’s the best time to do them.

NEWSFLASH: Time doesn’t actually exist. There is no ‘good’ time to start on a resolution.

We need to let go of this norm of only working on ourselves when a point of our lives is ending. You are a masterpiece and an ongoing work in progress simultaneously.      

If we don’t take the time to challenge ourselves all the time, we won’t ever grow.

Start now, no matter how scary and uncomfortable it is.

Stop waiting until the end of a year to create goals. More importantly, stop waiting until the New Year to start on these goals.

If there’s any ‘good’ time, it’s right now.    

Nadia Williams is a senior studying Political Science, Communications and French at Salisbury University. She enjoys writing about policy, media and culture. She hopes to use journalism as a tool to empower others to play an active role in their communities.