Why Killing Eve is the Drama You’ve Been Dying For

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

Source

If you’re one of those people who enjoy a good drama with a bit of murder then I’ve got to tell you, Killing Eve is the show you’ve been waiting for. I heard little bits about the show and saw some gifs on Tumblr, but hadn’t found the time to fully commit to starting a new series. I’m one of those people that’ll watch six seasons of a show and then start another one (I know… it’s a problem).

I finally sat down and binge-watched the show, and let me tell you…. I was not disappointed.

Source

Although the first season is relatively short (8 episodes), it’s made up for by the hour long episodes. The show follows the overlapping lives of our two main characters: Eve (Sandra Oh) and Villanelle (Jodie Comer). Eve works for MI5 (the British version of the CIA) and Villanelle is an extremely talented and disturbed international contract killer. Their lives soon become entangled because of their professions and they begin a dangerous game of cat and mouse that can only end in bloodshed as we explore the motives of both of these women.

Source

I wouldn’t say the show is necessarily graphic, however there is plenty of bloodshed and violence to be found – plus plenty of other NSFW moments. I think one of the greatest parts about the show is that it’s within the spy genre and the main characters are female. Of course, there are multiple examples of important male characters, but none of them are at the forefront like Eve and Villanelle.

Equally interesting is the way in which the show repeatedly puts female characters into other important positions with varying personalities and points of view, something that’s not always common in film and TV.

Source

Something else I’ve noticed with the show is the recurring theme of bodily autonomy in female characters and choosing what they do with their bodies and themselves. For Villanelle, it’s having multiple sexual encounters with men and women (sometimes at the same time), as well as in choosing who she kills and how. This repeatedly leads to her getting into trouble with the people who have hired her, however, she makes it clear that she does what she wants and there’s little they can do to stop her.

With Eve, this theme is shown as her job progresses from someone who does research to an active agent in the field. Her husband (rightfully) becomes increasingly concerned with the attention that Villanelle is giving Eve, and demands that she give up her job. Although his fears are justified, the show articulates the importance of Eve making her own decisions regarding her safety and her limits. This idea is repeated with other female characters ranging in issues from the people they’ve slept with to the methods they use to get the job done.

Source

Although intense, I would recommend Killing Eve to everyone. It’s a new take on a genre that everyone has seen before with characters that are clearly well thought out and developed. I’d say the awards the cast and show won for season one proves that. With season two out now, it’s the perfect time to catch up on Hulu. Once you watch, make sure you ask yourself – who is the real antagonist of the show?

Source

Kaitlyn

Salisbury '23

Kaitlyn is a a dynamic communications professional with a passion for writing, strategic marketing, and creative video production. She graduated from the Maryland Institute College of Art with a Master's Degree in Filmmaking in 2023. Her writing there focused on documentary, narrative, and fiction work. She also graduated from Salisbury University with degrees in Communications, English, and Linguistics. Kaitlyn has devoted her professional and personal life to public service and bettering the lives of others through her skills. In her free time she enjoys traveling and spending time with her cats.
Nadia Williams is a senior studying Political Science, Communications and French at Salisbury University. She enjoys writing about policy, media and culture. She hopes to use journalism as a tool to empower others to play an active role in their communities.