element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why It’s Okay To Be A Grinch

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

This might be an unpopular opinion…but Christmas is overrated, and I’m not here for it.

I’ve been called a Grinch since I was little and I realize now why I never had a problem with it. I was never the kid that ruined everyone’s childhood by yelling “SANTA ISN’T REAL!” in the middle of class, or the kid that wouldn’t participate in making gingerbread houses when family and friends were over.

In fact, I love gingerbread houses and wrapping presents. When I was younger, I would always look forward to the massive Toys-R-Us catalog that would come in the mail because I could lay on the floor in my penguin pajamas and circle all the newest toys I wished for.

The reason why I think Christmas is borderline hella annoying is because people don’t know how to be patient about celebrating it.

The day after Halloween, people are already listening to Christmas music and completely skip over the food version of it, Thanksgiving. Think about it. You get to be with family, eat delicious foods, and at the end of it, instead of presents, you get to take food home that’ll last you a week.

That in itself is a gift for most college students.

I can’t stand it when people sing Christmas songs in October and November. Even in December, it irritates me at times. Have you ever listened to a song or an album on repeat for a week straight and then you started getting bored of it, so you stop listening to it? That’s the feeling I have which starts in mid-December, and doesn’t go away until January.

It’s non-stop Christmas music everywhere you go. The mall, the grocery store, the bathroom, walking down the street, hearing it come from cars or your roommate in the shower. It’s impossible to get away from.

Now don’t get me wrong. It’s not that I hate Christmas music, it’s that I hate people’s obsession with it. I love singing along with Mariah Carey’s “All I Want for Christmas is You”, and singing both parts of “Baby It’s Cold Outside.”

But sometimes when I turn on the radio, I just want to listen to music without having the holiday spirit shoved down my throat.

Just maybe, switch it up every few carols next time someone passes you the aux.

Oh…and bah hum bug.

I'm a student at Salisbury University studying to major in Medical Laboratory with hopes of going into the Forensic field. I love my Puggle named Bruno and am blessed to have a great group of friends.
Nadia Williams is a senior studying Political Science, Communications and French at Salisbury University. She enjoys writing about policy, media and culture. She hopes to use journalism as a tool to empower others to play an active role in their communities.