This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

If you have ever had the pleasure of having a puppy in your family, you know the classic greeting your pal uses when they encounter another canine: the good ol’ butt sniff.

Us dog guardians usually giggle at this interaction that goes so strongly against our human sensibilities. However, that is not the case with our dog friends.

In fact, it seems like exchanging sniffs is actually the polite thing to do in the dog world. I have seen some dogs get pretty grouchy at the dog park when they let a stranger sniff all they want, but then get squat in return.

Have you ever wondered why pretty much every dog ever does this?

The answer lies in anal glands. Yeah, gross I know, but hear me out here because it is actually sort of cool.

How it works is basically that all dogs have anal sacs, and within them are glands that secrete chemicals and give off different scents and pheromones. The chemicals that are produced depend on a series of variables such as diet, environment, and age. Humans are incapable of smelling these chemicals, but dogs can because their sense of smell is anywhere from 10,000-100,000 times stronger than ours.

The scents of the chemicals provide various information about the dog. For instance, by smelling your dog’s butt, another dog will immediately know their gender, health condition, and even mood.

Sniffing butts really is how dogs introduce themselves to each other. It is totally weird, and incredible!

Nicole is an Environmental Studies and Economics double major at Salisbury University who is passionate about animal rights. She strongly believes in the benefits of a minimalistic plant-based lifestyle. She is on a journey to self love and minimalism and is excited to share her progress and advice along the way. Finally, she is dedicated to yoga and running as forms of stress relief and confidence boosting. All her passions and lifestyle choices come back to her deeply rooted love for animals. Nicole believes showing compassion truly manifests itself in beautiful and positive ways in life. She is prepared to share with you the means of achieving a more meaningful, compassionate, and joyful life with her articles.
Jeremie Davis

Salisbury '18

Jeremie Davis is an ambitious eighteen year old who has plans to change the world. While writing for her high school newspaper, she discovered her passion for writing, in which she contributed numerous works to the award winning newspaper. Jeremie also has a strong passion for Theater. She has been acting since she was ten years old. Jeremie is currently attending Spelman College in Atlanta, Georgia, where she is majoring in Early Child Education with a minor in Theater and Journalism. Along with writing for Her Campus, Jeremie is apart of Tiger TV, a newly produced student-run news show, located on Morehouse College's campus. After two years Jeremie plans to go to Yale School of the Dramatic Arts where she will earn her Doctorate’s Degree in Fine Arts. In her spare time, Jeremie enjoys watching Netflix, belting out show-tunes, biking, and hanging with family and friends. Her ultimate goal in life is to become either a successful actress or a news correspondent in the entertainment world. She lives by the motto “If you work hard, you get to play hard.”