matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

What to Know About the Southern California ‘Camp Fire’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

Source

• Thousands of areas were destroyed: About 80 to 90 percent of homes in a town were destroyed. Multiple structures were ruined. Beach property in Malibu, Ca., owned by about 12,000 had to be evacuated. Streets were full of downed powerlines and trees. 70,000 acres were burned.

• Santa Ana winds are to blame: According to CNN, high pressure Santa Ana winds contributed greatly to the fires in the Woolsey and Hills area.

• Historic Fire: It has reportedly been ruled as the most destructive with over 6,000 buildings destroyed in a matter of 48 hours.

Source

• Many were forced to evacuate: About 135,000 residents were forced to evacuate.  Some families were forced to choose between driving along in-flamed roads or running to evacuate.

• Many Celeb homes were threatened: According to E! many celeb’s such as Kim Kardashian, Kourtney Kardashian, Lady Gaga, Iggy Azaela, and Orlando Bloom live in or close to evacuation zones in the state. Some were forced to evacuate the area.

• An entire movie set was in danger: The Santa Monica set of HBO’s hit series WestWorld on Paramount’s Agoura Ranch have reportedly been burned by the fire.

So is the Bachelor…

Source

According to Rolling Stone, the infamous Agoura Hills mansion is reportedly that hosts the hit series is reportedly in the path of the fire.

Prayers up for California!

I'm Kyra Wilkins who is a freshmen majoring in communications and an aspiring journalist. I am able to explore my creative side through writing. I am excited to be able to be a voice for others.
Nadia Williams is a senior studying Political Science, Communications and French at Salisbury University. She enjoys writing about policy, media and culture. She hopes to use journalism as a tool to empower others to play an active role in their communities.