This Week In Black History: Taraji P. Henson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

Taraji P. Henson, or as some may call her, Cookie, Yvette or Shug. Henson is a well-known actress that is known for how straight forward she is, her acting, her personality and how she carries herself. Ms. Henson was born in the nation’s capital, Washington, DC and graduated from Oxon Hill High School in Oxon Hill, Maryland.

Henson is an actress that many young girls look up to and call their idols, many older women also say they love how Taraji has made it to where she is. Ms. Henson’s breakthrough movie was Baby Boy in which many people know recognize her from.

Taraji P. Henson is known for her character role, Cookie Lyon, in the television series, Empire. While in Empire, she is the ex-wife of Lucious Lyon which happens to be Terrance Howard.

Terrance Howard and Taraji P. Henson are known for how well they work together when it comes to acting. They were both in the well-known movie, Hustle and Flow.

Out of the 60 total nominations that Taraji P. Henson has been nominated for, she has won 26 of them. Her most recent award Outstanding Actress in a Motion Picture during the NAACP Image Awards for the movie “Hidden Figures” in which she was the main character with Octavia Spencer and Janelle Monáe. Ms. Henson has become the first African American woman to win a Critics Choice award for the best actress in a drama series.

Besides acting, Taraji P. Henson has also been a part of the MAC HIV/AIDS Fund. Many are waiting to see what other movies and television series that Ms. Henson is going to be a part in.

Stephanie Chisley is an outgoing go-getter. Originally, Stephanie is from Oxon Hill, MD. She is currently a student at Salisbury University where she is studying Communication Arts with a track in journalism and public relations and a minor in Theater. While attending Salisbury University, Stephanie currently holds an executive board position as the secretary for Salisbury's Society of Professional Journalists . Stephanie plans on becoming an anchor for E! News or a writer, radio host, and announcer for BuzzFeed. In her free time, Stephanie is always on her phone scanning through social media, communicating with her friends, and finding new places to eat near her area.