This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

October has just begun and that means candy, Halloween, and  scary movies! If you’re bored and looking for a good scare, here are my top five recommendations for scary movies that’ll make you pee your pants.

1. It (2017)

If you’re afraid of clowns, I’d probably suggest that you stay away from this one. Based on the novel by Stephen King written back in the 80’s, the movie centers around a group of kids who are terrorized by “It”, who preys on their greatest fears. In this newer version, “Pennywise the Dancing Clown”, played by  Bill Skarsgård, has been revamped and is creepier than ever. I don’t want to spoil it for anyone who plans on watching so I’ll just leave this here…

What I WILL say is that what makes Pennywise so scary (besides his massive forehead and eerie grin), is his child like voice which will completely throw you off guard.

1. Don’t Breathe (2016)

When you watch this movie, I guarantee that you will be holding your breath the entire time. In Don’t Breathe, directed by Fede Álvarez, three thieves decide to rob a blind, old, man who has come into a large amount of money. Easy target right? Wrong. What these guys didn’t know is that this man was a retired war veteran, with an enhanced sense of hearing that is underestimated by the three robbers.  The trio try to escape, but find it difficult when their attacker can hear their every move.

3.Sinister 2 (2015)

Sinister was scary yes, but I definitely think the sequel was much scarier. It takes place in a rural farmhouse where a mother and her twin sons just moved into, unbeknownst to them that the last family that lived there was murdered. Let’s just say that one of twins is chosen by Bughuul aka “The Boogeyman”, and sends his ghost minion children to get the son to do some sinister acts, get it? No? Alright moving on.    

4.Halloween (1978)

What would this list be if I didn’t throw in a classic? If you’re anything like me, you’ve seen this movie about 20 times already. I bet you can hear the sharp screeching music in the back of your head picturing Michael Myers, too right? Well, if you haven’t gotten the chance to watch this movie, put it at the top of your list. It begins with a young Michael Myers being sent to a psych ward for committing a deadly crime, and then escaping on his 18th birthday. He goes back to his hometown, to his old house where there is a new family living, including actor Jamie Lee Curtis, and plans to take his revenge.

5.The Blair Witch Project (1999)

The scariest thing about this movie, is that it is filmed documentary style, meaning that we, as the audience, see what goes on in “real time” as it happens to the characters, It keeps you on your toes and you don’t know what to expect. In this film, three film students camp out in the woods near the town where the legend of the Blair witch is based. In the woods, strange things start happening as the Blair witch (or is it?)  tries to pick them off one by one.

As I said before, this is just my opinion of the top five scary movies to check out this Halloween season. There is a plethora of scary movies out there, and if none of the ones on my list are scary enough for you, I’m sure you’ll find one out there. Now, go buy that Netflix subscription and start watching!

Xena Metzger is currently a writer for HerCampus in the Salisbury University chapter. She joined because of her interest in writing and wanted a platform to share her own interests. In her free time, she enjoys playing volleyball, and reading thriller novels. Fun fact about her, is that she’s gotten up to over level 1000 on three separate Candy Crush games. She is an accounting major and after college, she plans to get her CPA license, and possibly go to graduate school.
Stephanie Chisley is an outgoing go-getter. Originally, Stephanie is from Oxon Hill, MD. She is currently a student at Salisbury University where she is studying Communication Arts with a track in journalism and public relations and a minor in Theater. While attending Salisbury University, Stephanie currently holds an executive board position as the secretary for Salisbury's Society of Professional Journalists . Stephanie plans on becoming an anchor for E! News or a writer, radio host, and announcer for BuzzFeed. In her free time, Stephanie is always on her phone scanning through social media, communicating with her friends, and finding new places to eat near her area.