The Top 5 Reasons Why Hollywood Should Stop Making Remakes To Old Films

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

Have you ever seen an advertisement on TV promoting a new film that looks and sounds familiar? Maybe the actors and actresses in this new movie are new to the Hollywood scene or old Hollywood icons, but the plot sounds the same?

That advertisement might have just been a remake. A remake is a movie, or a television show based on an earlier work that is retelling the same or similar story as the original.

Today remakes have become very common in Hollywood. So much so, people have commented online that they do not approve of Hollywood remaking a movie that was already good and special, to begin with.

Of course, not all remakes are bad remakes. In fact, Hollywood has proven that they can make good remakes as seen with films such as The Ring (2002) and Hairspray (2008). But too often, remakes are not as good or memorable as the original.

Without further adieu, let’s look at the top five reasons why I believe Hollywood should stop making remakes to old films.

1) Remakes will constantly have to be remade for each new generation.

We have seen Hollywood trying to remaster a classic movie from a decade or two before to appeal to a younger audience. Granted, a younger viewer may not have heard of movies such as Carrie (1976) and Jumanji (1995) and Hollywood may feel that it is important for younger generations to experience these movies since they were not able to when they were released.

However, I feel that as time goes on, Hollywood will no longer be able to come up with creative ideas for movies and will continue to make remakes of classic movies for younger generations to enjoy.

2) Only some remakes will be appreciated.

Going back to what was said in the introduction, there are good remakes out there. Some even better than the original movies they are based on. An example of this is the movie It (2017) which received positive reviews from critics who highlighted the cast’s performances, the frightening horror scenes, and how it “amplifies the horror in Stephen King’s classic story without losing its heart.”

However, not all critics agreed with the jump scares used in the films. Michael Philips of the Chicago Tribune wrote that “nearly every scene begins and ends the same way, with a slow build… leading up to a KAAA-WHUMMMMMM!!!! sound effect.”

Not only that, but since the original It is considered a cult classic to some critics, they miss the nostalgic feel and terror they got from the mini series back in 1990.

Despite the criticism from some critics regarding the jump scares and comparison to the 1990 mini-series, a sequel is in the making, which is set to be released in September of 2019, proving that not everyone disagrees with the idea of filmmakers making remakes.

3) Innovative ideas have yet to be explored.

By now, we’re used to watching movies that have a main character trying to save the world from evil, and the guy getting the girl at the end of the movie. Aren’t we tired of watching films like this and want to see fresh innovative ideas on screen?

I would personally like to see more movies with a minority playing the main character and include a more diverse cast of characters. Movies that show female empowerment or women choosing their career, family, and friends over love. Movies that show more positive friendships/romantic relationships.

When are movies like these going to be pitched to Hollywood studios?

4) They usually don’t add anything new to the table.

Since remakes are retellings of original movies they usually follow the same plot, have the same characters, and take place in the same setting as the original. Of course, there are times when Hollywood includes diverse characters or even make a few minor changes to a character’s backstory or plot.

But, they are usually shot very similar to, if not exactly like the original. The remake of the classic Alfred Hitchcock horror film Psycho (1998) is a fitting example of a remake that is a shot by shot copy of the original just in color.

What was the purpose of making this film? Was it to make money and rehash the success of the original? What do you think?

5) They are usually bad.

Let’s face it, not all remakes are going to live up to the critical or commercial success of the original. But it is unfortunate that remakes are usually known for being bad and people compare them too much to the original.

Beloved movies such as Ghostbusters (1984) was given a remake in 2016 with an all-female cast of famous leading actresses such as Melissa McCarthy and Kristen Wigg.

Although the film received positive reviews from critics, audiences were not too thrilled about this new remake. In fact, currently, the trailer for Ghostbusters (2016) on YouTube has over one million dislikes and only 300,000 likes. If that is not enough evidence showing the impact remakes can have on nostalgic moviegoers, then I don’t know what else there is.

All in all, not all remakes are bad remakes. There are decent and good ones out there. But, I want to leave you with this. What do you think of remakes? Do you think Hollywood should stop making remakes to classic films? Or, do you think they should continue doing this? 

Micaela Shirley is a junior at Salisbury University who is majoring in Communication Arts and minoring in English and Film. Her goal in life is to inspire and uplift readers and moviegoers with her stories.
Nadia Williams is a senior studying Political Science, Communications and French at Salisbury University. She enjoys writing about policy, media and culture. She hopes to use journalism as a tool to empower others to play an active role in their communities.