samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Things I Wish I Knew Before Starting College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

It’s almost impossible to believe that my time as an undergrad student is coming to a close. It seems like only yesterday I was preparing for freshman move in day with excited yet anxious knots in my stomach. At the time, I was the type that had never been to a teenage party. I’ll even admit, an evening out with my friends was accompanied by constant worried phone calls from my mom.

Above all else, I anticipated the thrill of finally being on my own and experiencing freedoms I’ve never had before. As a senior, I can proudly say that the last four years have positively shaped me into the person I am today. Despite the drama and disappointments I look back on my beginning years with fondness and the occasional regret.

I’d like to take some time to share the things I wish I knew before my freshman year. Perhaps this can list can help a nervous teen who’s preparing to start this transformative chapter in their life.

1. Don’t lollygag on joining clubs

Let me digress for a moment to point out that no one uses the word lollygag but it has a nice ring to it. Joining clubs not only looks good on your resume, it’s also the key to creating lifelong friendships. The first few months of your college career can be frightening so it’s comforting to hang around people you share a common interest with. It took me a while to join clubs I was interested in because I didn’t want to attend meetings alone. With that mindset you’ll have a really difficult time meeting people and spend most of your Friday nights alone in your room on YouTube like myself.

2. No one cares if you eat in the dining hall alone

When I had a meal plan I felt weird about eating alone. I convinced myself that people would thing I was odd if I occupied a whole table on my own. I felt everyone was staring at me and mumbling about how lonely that girl must be. Suddenly, I came to the realization that no one cares if I choose to eat lunch alone. Thanks to varying schedules, you shouldn’t expect to always eat with others.

3. It’s true, many college students just want to hook up

If you think it will be easy to start healthy romantic relationships in college you’re in for a rude awakening. I’m going to put it bluntly, beware of the upperclassmen with an agenda of wooing fresh meat. Before you become involved with someone, discuss the boundaries of your relationship to avoid heartache.

4. Choose a major you’re really passionate about

I know a few unfortunate souls that regret choosing their college majors. The student loans are in your name so it’s important to choose one that relates to your future goals. Fortunately, I think I made the right choice with communications but others fall victim to pressures from their family or society as a whole. Mom may want you to be an accountant but if you hate math and love the arts, follow your heart’s desire. At the end of the day, you’re the one that has to go to work every morning.

5.  www.ratemyprofessors.com will be your best friend

I wish I knew about this site before my first semester. It allows students to anonymously rate their professors on difficulty, teaching style and even hotness. I’ve had my fair share of monotone professors that made me dread going to class. Utilize this site every semester to avoid enrolling in a disengaging course.

6. Fix your procrastination problem as soon as possible

My name is Anjie and I’ve been a procrastinator all my life. The number of tearful all-nighters I’ve pulled is astounding. Your professors are kind enough to print out detailed syllabi so there should be no excuse why you’re scrambling to complete a five page paper and presentation in one night. You may have been able to get away with it in high school, but college assignments can be complex and time consuming. Break out of that habit before you trap yourself in an endless procrastination limbo.

Anjelique Wilson is a senior at Salisbury University, majoring in Communication arts. She loves musical theater and hopes to obtain a career in the arts. You'll often catch her singing along to musicals and watching her favorite youtubers. She joined her campus to be involved with a platform that allows her to freely express herself
Stephanie Chisley is an outgoing go-getter. Originally, Stephanie is from Oxon Hill, MD. She is currently a student at Salisbury University where she is studying Communication Arts with a track in journalism and public relations and a minor in Theater. While attending Salisbury University, Stephanie currently holds an executive board position as the secretary for Salisbury's Society of Professional Journalists . Stephanie plans on becoming an anchor for E! News or a writer, radio host, and announcer for BuzzFeed. In her free time, Stephanie is always on her phone scanning through social media, communicating with her friends, and finding new places to eat near her area.