mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

The Struggle in Cameroon Continues as Election Day Approaches

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

(Photo courtesy of Google.)

The upcoming Oct. 7 presidential election in Cameroon is the most dreaded, as the anglophones (English-speakers) and francophones (French-speakers) continue their bloody disputes towards each other.

The list of candidates is up to nine people, including the current president, Paul Biya, looking to continue his 35-year reign.

President Biya, 85, was put into power in 1983 when his successor, Ahmadou Ahidjo, resigned.

After Biya expelled Ahidjo from the chairman position of the ruling party, the government introduced a new constitution in 1996 limiting a president’s reign to two seven-year terms.

However, in 2008, the government removed the two-term limitation allowing Paul Biya to extend his rule at whim.

Now, a president has no limit to the amount of terms they are able to serve. This change has allowed Paul Biya to become one of Africa’s longest-serving rulers.

Today, the climate in Cameroon is extremely toxic. The effects of British and French colonization are showing its impact on the country’s stability.

For decades, the northern parts of Cameroon spoke English and were required to learn French while the francophones were not required to learn English.

The anglophones feel frustrated as the francophones control the majority of the country and are held to a higher status. This animosity has grown for many years but has recently become violent.

The conflict expanded to the point where anglophones want to secede from Cameroon and establish their own state.

In this current climate, Cameroon needs a strong leader to unite the people and hopefully the upcoming elections will provide a glimpse of the change that Cameroonian citizens hope will come.

For more information on this topic, please visit the websites below:

Election background: Africa News

Global Security

Election Tensions : Africa News

Glory Ngwe

Salisbury '21

I am a Communication Arts-Multimedia Journalism track major with a minor in Business Administration at Salisbury University. I aspire to become an intelligent and creative leader in my field for the world I am growing up in.
Nadia Williams is a senior studying Political Science, Communications and French at Salisbury University. She enjoys writing about policy, media and culture. She hopes to use journalism as a tool to empower others to play an active role in their communities.