yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash

Spooky Movies to Watch with your BOO

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

It’s October, which means it’s finally time to cozy up with your SO (significant other) while watching scary movies. Enjoy this list of the best scary, strange, and dark movies Netflix has to offer.

Source

1. The Lost Boys (1987)

This movie follows a family of three who move to Santa Carla, the ‘murder capital of the world.’ The eldest brother gets caught up with a local gang that is rumored to be a league of vampires. Enjoy this bona fide 80s vampire flick after hours for a better scare!

Source

2. Interview with the Vampire (1994)

Continuing with the theme of vampires, this 90s film stars Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise AND Kirsten Dunst. Brad Pitt plays Louis, a very old vampire who’s finally sharing his life story with a biographer. The story dives deep into history and touches many themes surrounding loss, love and what it means to be a human.

Source 

3. Donnie Darko (2001)

Donnie Darko is one of the most confusing movies I’ve ever seen. Jake Gyllenhaal stars as an average American teenager, who’s fearful of the apocalypse. Oh yeah, and he sees a six-foot demonic rabbit everywhere he goes. Very confusing, yet such a great movie for spooky season.

Source 

4. Hush (2016)

Hush is an amazing thriller that will leave you speechless. The main character is a deaf author who lives alone in the woods. (Sounds super safe right?) One night, while finishing her newest novel, a violent stranger stumbles upon her home and threatens her life. The author struggles to choose the ending of her own story as she prepares to fight back.

Source 

5. Before I Wake (2016)

This Netflix original movie isn’t as ‘scary’ as the others on the list, so it’s perfect for those who want a great story line, minimal gore and a happy ending. It’s about a boy named Cody, whose dreams come to life as he sleeps. Cody is placed in foster care after a major tragedy and his new caregivers take advantage of his special power. At least, until they realize his nightmares can become real too.

Source

6. Ghost House (2017)

Ghost House follows a traveling couple and their deathly adventures in Thailand. The movie is filled with love, betrayal, Thai culture and, of course, an incredibly dangerous ghost. I can’t say too much about the plot without ruining the movie, but trust me it’s a GREAT cuddle and scream motion picture.

These are some of my favorite scary movies that are perfect for date night, but can you think of any others that should make the list? Let us know on our social media pages. Happy October!

Amalia Parran is a senior at Salisbury University. She is Co-Correspondant for Her Campus Salisbury. She loves to learn about other cultures, and how they differ from her own. Currently, she spends her free time watching anime and volunteering at the Wicomico Humane Society. After she graduates, she hopes to work for a marketing company in the DMV area.