The Scariest Thing You Will Read This Halloween…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

As I was skimming a newsletter from an animal rights organization earlier this week, I was struck by an article about a calf in Brooklyn who escaped the slaughterhouse and ended up running through the streets. 

As the story went viral, people over social media began advocating for the calf’s liberation. This is not the first time an animal has escaped on its way to slaughter. More often than not, the publicity surrounding the animal’s escape results in the animal getting rescued by a sanctuary. Thankfully, this was the case for the lucky calf.

Although I was happy the calf had escaped and been rescued, I could not shake a feeling of discontent rooted in the fact a majority of the massive outcry on social media was not from animal rights activists, but average people. People who eat meat on a daily basis were suddenly invested in the life of this young calf, an otherwise faceless meat package. I am trilled these people stood up for justice but, my discontent lies in the lack of connection people draw between the calf and the meat on their plate.

Most of these people did not even encounter the creature in person and still, they showed compassion and empathy for him. They spoke out for his liberation. Why?

In short, because they believe he has a right to life. How then, does his mother, brother, or sister differ? He was born in a CAFO and yet, he will get to enjoy sunshine, human compassion, and freedom for the rest of his life.

Most factory farmed animals are not so lucky. Most of these animals do not see the sunlight until they are being shoved in a truck for slaughter. They never experience a moment of human compassion in their entire short lives and instead live in pain and fear. If you do not believe me, look up footage from inside a factory farm.

Animals are unique, intelligent, and full of personality.  If you can accept that dogs experience happiness and feel pain, consider the fact that pigs are more intelligent than dogs. That cows are known to have best friends, and that chickens purr to their young. 

The truth is humans are born loving animals and that is why all those people stood up for that calf. It is not until social norms convince us eating meat is normal that we begin to feel otherwise, and this is not entirely our fault. The meat and dairy industry has done a great job of separating and blinding us from the horror animals endure at the expense of our diets. They have gained so much control over us that they have managed to convince us eating animal products is healthy.

Countless scientific studies show a vegan lifestyle is the healthiest thing you could do for yourself and the planet. If animal products are so healthy, why is American health in such decline? Why are more and more doctors, body builders, athletes, and runners advocating a plant based diet? If milk helps us grow strong bones, why does the US have one of the highest rates of Osteoporosis? The questions and inconsistencies go on and on.  It is no wonder we love animals as children rather than instinctively hunt them. We are not meant to eat them!

If you love animals, educate yourself about what goes on in factory farms, and be someone who makes a difference by deviating from the norm. Take charge and stand up for justice! The story of the courageous young calf shows us the vast amount of social power we all possess if we band together against an evil industry.

Nicole is an Environmental Studies and Economics double major at Salisbury University who is passionate about animal rights. She strongly believes in the benefits of a minimalistic plant-based lifestyle. She is on a journey to self love and minimalism and is excited to share her progress and advice along the way. Finally, she is dedicated to yoga and running as forms of stress relief and confidence boosting. All her passions and lifestyle choices come back to her deeply rooted love for animals. Nicole believes showing compassion truly manifests itself in beautiful and positive ways in life. She is prepared to share with you the means of achieving a more meaningful, compassionate, and joyful life with her articles.
Jeremie Davis

Salisbury '18

Jeremie Davis is an ambitious eighteen year old who has plans to change the world. While writing for her high school newspaper, she discovered her passion for writing, in which she contributed numerous works to the award winning newspaper. Jeremie also has a strong passion for Theater. She has been acting since she was ten years old. Jeremie is currently attending Spelman College in Atlanta, Georgia, where she is majoring in Early Child Education with a minor in Theater and Journalism. Along with writing for Her Campus, Jeremie is apart of Tiger TV, a newly produced student-run news show, located on Morehouse College's campus. After two years Jeremie plans to go to Yale School of the Dramatic Arts where she will earn her Doctorate’s Degree in Fine Arts. In her spare time, Jeremie enjoys watching Netflix, belting out show-tunes, biking, and hanging with family and friends. Her ultimate goal in life is to become either a successful actress or a news correspondent in the entertainment world. She lives by the motto “If you work hard, you get to play hard.”