Salisbury University Host First Drag Show

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

The LGBTQ+ Alliance here at SU aka “Letters” hosted a drag show last night with help from professional drag queen Stormy Vain as well as the rest of her queens. The show had a great turnout from the campus community and featured a wide variety of acts. Each queen had a different persona and lip-synced along to different songs. This list included Prince’s Purple Rain, St. Vincent’s Young Lover, Robyn’s Call Your Girlfriend, Rhianna’s Diamonds, Shirley Bassey’s Diamonds are Forever and many more! Each queen was unique in her persona and dress. One queen named Pinwheel dressed in black trash bags with crazy makeup, while others wore beautiful ball gowns and did splits on the stage!

After the queens performed, four audience members were chosen to perform in their own lip-sync battles. The four students chosen performed their renditions as Cher, Madonna, Katy Perry, and Tina Turner.  (Featured Below) They were provided with wigs to assume the full persona and the winners of the lip-sync battle were given prizes for their amazing work!

I’m proud to say, as an executive board member of the LGBTQ+ Alliance, that this show was a success. I won’t lie to you, we were worried because of some of the hurdles we faced with the event. We were meant to have the event around Halloween. However, we were cancelled by a higher power because there were no police officers available to supervise our event. There were security concerns about comments left on a post about the event which brought the mood down before the event. To top it all off the day before our event we had only sold 19 pre-sale tickets. We thought this was going to be a flop. Luckily, everything turned out okay with the majority of attendees buying their tickets at the door!

A huge thank you goes out to the queens for agreeing to come and perform for the students at the event, as well as for donating all the tips they received back to the LGBTQ+ Alliance. I’d also like to say thank you to my fellow executive board members Lexi and Kendal for making this event happen, as well as all our members that helped volunteer and run the event! Of course, I also have to thank Jeremie and Steph here at Her Campus for donating some of our survival kit items to give out at the event and for being so supportive of the event as well! I’m so proud to be a part of two very different organizations that support each other so profoundly! Of course, I must thank all the people that came to this event, as it wouldn’t have been possible without you! If you missed out don’t worry as we have tons of great events planned and hope to have the QUEENS back soon!

Kaitlyn

Salisbury '23

Kaitlyn is a a dynamic communications professional with a passion for writing, strategic marketing, and creative video production. She graduated from the Maryland Institute College of Art with a Master's Degree in Filmmaking in 2023. Her writing there focused on documentary, narrative, and fiction work. She also graduated from Salisbury University with degrees in Communications, English, and Linguistics. Kaitlyn has devoted her professional and personal life to public service and bettering the lives of others through her skills. In her free time she enjoys traveling and spending time with her cats.
Jeremie Davis

Salisbury '18

Jeremie Davis is an ambitious eighteen year old who has plans to change the world. While writing for her high school newspaper, she discovered her passion for writing, in which she contributed numerous works to the award winning newspaper. Jeremie also has a strong passion for Theater. She has been acting since she was ten years old. Jeremie is currently attending Spelman College in Atlanta, Georgia, where she is majoring in Early Child Education with a minor in Theater and Journalism. Along with writing for Her Campus, Jeremie is apart of Tiger TV, a newly produced student-run news show, located on Morehouse College's campus. After two years Jeremie plans to go to Yale School of the Dramatic Arts where she will earn her Doctorate’s Degree in Fine Arts. In her spare time, Jeremie enjoys watching Netflix, belting out show-tunes, biking, and hanging with family and friends. Her ultimate goal in life is to become either a successful actress or a news correspondent in the entertainment world. She lives by the motto “If you work hard, you get to play hard.”