Opinion: The Polarization of Government Hinders Any Hope for Reform

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

The deadliest mass shooting in American history occurred in Las Vegas. Last year, it was in Orlando. Four years before that, it was in Newton, Connecticut and five years before that, it was on the campus of Virginia Tech.

Mass shootings are so common in American history that it’s difficult to simply post “Pray for Vegas” tweets. Americans ask themselves this question each time a tragedy occurs: Why are mass shootings becoming a norm?

The answer depends on who you ask, especially those who identify with being on either side of the political spectrum. Those on the left such as Representative Chris Murphy of Connecticut have advocated for stricter gun laws, “To my colleagues: your cowardice to act cannot be whitewashed by thoughts and prayers. None of this ends unless we do something to stop it”, said Murphy via Twitter.

Others on the right like commentator Tomi Lahren say the stricter gun laws will make Americans more unsafe, “Criminals, terrorists, psychos – they don’t obey our laws. They don’t care about your gun control”, said Lahren via Fox News.

The gun control debate shows one constant on American politics: Congress is so polarized that nothing gets done.

Whether it be gun control, healthcare or reproductive rights, both sides have rigid ideals they stick to, no matter the detrimental impact it has on the American public. Decisions are never made; atrocities continue to occur. Countless Americans die from gun violence, hurricanes and the hard-headedness of the government.

Citizens call for government to act, and their answer remains the same: This isn’t the time for debate.

Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Scott Pruitt on Hurricane Irma: “To have any kind of focus on the cause and effect of the storm; versus helping people, or actually facing the effect of the storm, is misplaced.” (via CNN)

White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders on gun control after Vegas shooting: “…there will certainly be a time for that policy discussion to take place, but that’s not the place that we’re in at this moment.” (via Washington Post)

If now isn’t the time, when is? 

Nadia Williams is a senior studying Political Science, Communications and French at Salisbury University. She enjoys writing about policy, media and culture. She hopes to use journalism as a tool to empower others to play an active role in their communities. 
Stephanie Chisley is an outgoing go-getter. Originally, Stephanie is from Oxon Hill, MD. She is currently a student at Salisbury University where she is studying Communication Arts with a track in journalism and public relations and a minor in Theater. While attending Salisbury University, Stephanie currently holds an executive board position as the secretary for Salisbury's Society of Professional Journalists . Stephanie plans on becoming an anchor for E! News or a writer, radio host, and announcer for BuzzFeed. In her free time, Stephanie is always on her phone scanning through social media, communicating with her friends, and finding new places to eat near her area.