matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

International Day of the Girl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

Friday October 12, when most of us college girls were more or less swamped with homework and midterms, hundreds of women descended to time square in celebration of this year’s International Day of Girl!! Here’s the scoop… Source

Hosts: Friday’s hosts were none other than Today’s Show’s Savannah Guthrie and Hoda Kotb.

Source

This year’s guest speaker was none other than Michelle Obama!

Source

The Former First lady touched on many vital issues concerning girls and women alike. Here’s a couple of highlights.

• Raise your Voice

Former FLOTUS explained how many women across the world are fed up with being undervalued and their voices fading into the background.

• “Me Too” Movement:

When asked about this year’s events surrounding sexual assault she said, “I’m surprised at how much has changed, but how much has not changed, and I think that’s where the fire is coming from and enough is enough.” In addition, she believes this movement is paving the way for the next generation of girls.

• She’s not giving up:

When asked why she chooses to continue engaging in politics and being a leader for the advancement of girls, Mrs. Obama replied by saying the commitment she made to young women during her time in the White House remains the same after and is fulfilling her promise through the Obama Foundation’s, Global Girl Alliance.

Friday’s event ended with star studded performances by:

Jennifer Hudson

Source

Kelly Clarkson

Source

Meghan Trainor 

Source

Last but not least, always remember… 

“When they go low, we go high!”

I'm Kyra Wilkins who is a freshmen majoring in communications and an aspiring journalist. I am able to explore my creative side through writing. I am excited to be able to be a voice for others.
Nadia Williams is a senior studying Political Science, Communications and French at Salisbury University. She enjoys writing about policy, media and culture. She hopes to use journalism as a tool to empower others to play an active role in their communities.